Hypochondriac Heaven

19

davincimanComputer geek hypochondriacs have long wished for a medical diagnostic program where you tell the computer what you feel like, and it will tell you what you’ve got.

An early effort in this direction was launched in the late 70’s by our Harvard undergraduate roommate, who was developing it while a student at Colombia Medical School.

He was know as Michael Red, due to his waist-length red hair and his fire-engine red classic Porsche. He was developing a program into which doctors could feed all of their observations and test results, and get back a list of the most probable diagnoses, in order of likelihood.

Older doctors thought he was crazy, doctors didn’t use computers, the PC was still a decade away, but we knew he was on to something. Michael Red was one of the smartest people we knew.

Then one summer we came back from an incomplete internship with a shaman in South America to find out that Michael Red was dead, murdered on his grandfather’s Christmas tree farm in Conneticutt by his main colaborator on the medical software project.

But the dream lives on. Today we discovered that WebMD has unveiled a “Symptom Checker” which in some ways goes beyond what Michael had envisioned, primarily because it is designed to be used by the patient rather than the doctor.

It’s very Web 2.o.  You start with a model of the human body, and point to where it hurts.  Then you answer a series of questions about the pain, discomfort, other symptoms, your age and general health, and BINGO – out pops not one, but about 20 possible conditions you could have.

Obviously, this is like a winning lottery ticket for a hypochondriac, and a goldmine for WebMD. Within minutes of discovering the site, we were convinced that we had dermatomyositis, a helicopactor pyori infection, and an aortic aneurysm.

Of course, information on each of these life-threatening conditions is just a click away on the WebMD site.

But don’t take our word for it.

Check it out for yourself here.

1. Gangster

February 5, 2009 @ 12:46 pm

1

“Hypochondriac Heaven” is the greatest article.
    ____________
    Finance thesis

2. aşk

July 17, 2009 @ 5:29 pm

2

hallo dear friends thanks a lot for your workshop

3. epo

October 25, 2009 @ 12:01 am

3

Impressive. I love this information, quiet new to me though… doctors excuse note.

4. Tips For Everyday Life With Hemeroids | Cure Hemeroids

November 23, 2009 @ 4:32 pm

4

[…] hypochondriac heaven – computer geek hypochondriacs have long wished for a medical diagnostic program where you tell the computer what you feel like, and it will tell you what you’ve got. an early effort in this direction was launched in the late 70’s by our … […]

5. neybursguy

December 1, 2009 @ 11:13 am

5

I would welcome help like this if it is possible!!

6. medical check u

March 16, 2010 @ 11:30 am

6

very interesting info… and i might do some research to gain my knowledge regarding this article.

7. closet organizers

April 17, 2010 @ 11:55 am

7

im impress. i like this post because it can gain my knowledge. thanks a lot.

8. doctors excuse

May 29, 2010 @ 11:22 am

8

fabulous idea – glad it’s been implemented – doctors excuse

9. log holder

June 1, 2010 @ 9:24 am

9

I’ve been waiting for a website like this!

log holder

10. hardwood floorvacuum

June 1, 2010 @ 4:08 pm

10

I’ve used the web md site – it’s very comprehensive
    hardwood floor vacuum

11. bubble letters

June 3, 2010 @ 12:37 pm

11

Great information. The symptom checker is really cool!

12. strawberry planter

June 3, 2010 @ 2:16 pm

12

Sounds like this website would be perfect for several people I know. I wonder how long before competition pops up?

13. metal detecting

June 3, 2010 @ 4:18 pm

13

It’s comprehensive all right. I’m sure they have to take it to that extreme due to the law suits that would pop up if they didn’t.

14. doctor's excuse

June 18, 2010 @ 8:53 am

14

hypochondriac heaven – interesting read. There really is a website for everyone.

15. doctors note

June 18, 2010 @ 10:20 am

15

A hugely successful website – web md really demonstrates a market for this type of thing.

16. Hardwood Floor Clean

June 23, 2010 @ 2:15 am

16

I don’t ever hear about Hypochondriac Heaven. SO I’m very attractived about it.

17. Court cases

June 27, 2010 @ 3:29 pm

17

I am really impressed with the way you have explained Hypochondriac Heaven.

18. salter scale

August 27, 2010 @ 10:34 pm

18

Hmmmm. I hadn’t really thought of those sites in the way you’ve described here. Still you make a good point.

19. doodle

September 20, 2010 @ 3:08 pm

19

in my opinion people in the old days are really intelligent compare to todays… it’s just that they don’t have the advance technology to finish what they started… well this is just my personal opinion… good article tho.. keep it up..