What will 2014 read like?

May 24th, 2005 by

Breaking my blog-fast for a moment to point you to a flash video from the future describing the media landscape of 2014. As the New York Times is reduced to a pamphlet for the “elite and elderly”, a Google/Blogger/Amazon/TiVo collaborative app called EPIC serves customized content to each user based on a complex blend of personal information. Special algorithms scrape single sentences from blog and news articles to create a limitless torrent described as “narrow”, “shallow”, and “trivial.” In other words, asserts the narrator, “it’s what we wanted.”

A colleague of mine recently described the Internet, and the knowledge of its attendant young generation, as a ocean two inches deep. Does the pursuit of semiotic democracy and participatory culture require deeper scrutiny? Does a diversity of voices lead to a lack of expertise and the devaluation of all information?

I maintain that as access barriers weaken, public education must strengthen in proportion. To responsibly wield the democratizing software tools being created, a population must have the intangible tools of critical thinking and media literacy firmly in place. Do our cultural values presently reflect this need?

11 Responses to “What will 2014 read like?”

1. Carmella Seamon Says:

Pretty dope article and nice site layout too.. I def gotta keep ur site on my bookmark list and check back every once in a while. Keep up the good job and happy blogging! :)

2. PSP 3000 console Says:

Thanks for making the sincere effort to explain this. I feel pretty strong about it and would like to learn more. If it’s OK, as you learn more in depth knowledge, would you mind adding more articles similar to this one with more information? It would be so helpful and useful for me and my co-workers.

3. facesitting Says:

I uncovered your blog yesterday and started follow your posts regularly. I have not commented on any blog just yet but I was contemplating I would like to. It’s really exciting to actually contribute to a publication even if it’s only a blog. I really don’t know exactly what to say other than I really enjoyed reading through 6 of the articles. Nice articles indeed. I sure will keep visiting your blog regularly. I learned quite a bit from you. Thanks a bunch!

4. Vanessa Chamorro Says:

I was looking for new information and came to your website by using yahoo. You continue being a great source of information.

5. Joella Hsun Says:

i’m not precisely distinct nevertheless sounds right

6. buy cheap facebook likes Says:

I do know this isn’t precisely on subject, however i have a website using the identical program as nicely and i get troubles with my feedback displaying. is there a setting i am lacking? it’s potential you may assist me out? thanx.

7. Jessica Bell Says:

You ought to really take into consideration getting engaged on growing this weblog into a serious authority on this market. You evidently have a grasp of the matters everyone is looking for on this website in any case and you could definitely even earn a buck or two off of some advertisements. I might explore following current topics and elevating the amount of write ups you set up and I assure you’d begin seeing some amazing focused traffic within the close to future. Just a thought, good luck in no matter you do!

8. Buy website traffic Says:

Simply amazing , Great blog and the content is aewsome. I have bookmarked your blog to recieve updates !!

9. Roi Unlimited Review Says:

Easily, the post is in reality the best on this worthy topic. I fit in with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your approaching updates. Just saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the exceptional clarity in your writing. I will directly grab your rss feed to stay informed of any updates. Admirable work and much success in your business enterprize!

10. custom lax jerseys Says:

A lady phoned me and also stated, ome on more than. Presently there no person home.?We travelled above. No one ended up being home!

11. kev Says:

hi, got to your site using msn. will bookmark this site and come back often. like the content and feedback.thanks