December 6, 2004

i double-dactyl dare ya, george

Filed under: pre-06-2006 — David Giacalone @ 6:27 pm

My dual-webloggist friend, George Wallace has a birthday today, and treated himself  to a self-referential “double dactyl” at his Fool in the Forest site.  In honor of his not yet being 50, I decided to write my very first double dactyl (a form of light verse that is defined for you here — I had to look up the rules, too, as George bends them as much as he bends his oenophile elbow).

wine   Since I like my male friends to have interesting foibles and saintly wives, George and I get along famously.  So, here’s to you, GMW: Happy Birthday!

Another Forty-Niner   

bloggingly-bloggingly  joker vert
Georgie M. Wallace ’tis
Birthday boy, Poster boy
Old as the hills

Gianduia‘s Barrister
SuperInsurally 
Fools in the Forest and
Sends out the bills
                                            (Dec. 6, 2004)      

wine    p.s. Seeking a dactylian word for wine lover (oenophile didn’t work), I discovered  the entry for Gianduia at Wikipedia (thanks to the OneLook Reverse Dictionary):

Gianduia is one of the masks of the Italian Commedia dell’Arte, typically representing the town of Turin (and Piedmont in general). The mask depicts an honest peasant of Piedmontese countryland, with a certain inclination for wine, gastronomy and beautiful girls, while strictly faithful to his lover Giacometta, who is usually represented by a cute girl. . . . He is dressed (in the usual version) with a tricorn hat, a brown jacket with red borders, and has a happy humour.  The character of Gianduja was originally created as a marionet and is now Turin’s official “king of the Carnival“.