December 8, 2004

the lobsters stir

Filed under: pre-06-2006 — David Giacalone @ 11:48 am

untended fish stall–

the lobsters

stir in their tanks

spelling test

the teacher’s

squeaky shoes

credits: “untended fish stall” – Modern Haiku XXX:3

“spelling test” – Frogpond XXIII:3

55 limit n  Most days, I think age is mostly a mind thing, but today is my last day in my

“early 50’s”, and it is hard to ignore some of the bodily signs of aging — especially

when I realize they will only exacerbate over the next few decades (we live pretty

long in my family).  Looking back over haiku that I penned this Dec. week last year 

[scroll to bottom], they seemed to be body-worried, too.  To prove that my mind is

also going, I haven’t come up yet with a new haiku for today, but here is a fun

one from last December:

by dagosan:  

poking a cold nose
from under warm blankets
that squirrel and I
                              [dag, 12/05/03]

1 PM: Real-life brings inspiration:

frantic shampooing–

long hot shower

suddenly cold

[dag, 12/08/04]

one-breath pundit

tiny check Best wishes to Mike “the Fedster” Cernovich at Crime & Federalism, who has his

last law school exam tomorrow (Dec. 9).  Mike hasn’t posted as of  Noon today — I hope that

means he is studying, rather than preparing an especially long post while procrastinating

just one more time as a law student.  Were there weblogs 28 years ago, I would have surely

been in the procrastinatin’ camp.

Even Gomer Nods : This might not measure up to other plagiarism episodes we’ve seen

this year (see, e.g. here, there, but it is at least a little ironic that the following Notice appeared

at the foot of the Speaking of Ethics column in this month’s Washington Lawyer:

From the Editors: We recently discovered that significant portions of a number of

“Speaking of Ethics” columns should have quoted or otherwise been attributed to

the opinions of the D.C. Bar’s Legal Ethics Committee. Washington Lawyer apologizes

to its readers for any confusion this oversight may have caused. The specific columns

involved are being noted and corrected in the magazine’s online pages at www.dcbar.org.”

tiny check  While Googling the “spelling test” haiku above, I notice an ad selling squeaky shoes

for babies and had to check it out.  The ad copy includes the statement “Parents love this shoe even

more than the kids.”  Perhaps Denise at B&B has an opinion on the product.  [I was Googling to make

sure I hadn’t already used Barry’s haiku on this site.  We Boomers need all the memory aids we can get.]

lawyer cellphone small  Bummer.  I completely missed the radio ads sponsored again this year by the

NYSBA, in their “Lawyers Trusted Advisors” series.  Prof. Yabut had a lot to say about an earlier version

of this campaign last April in PR or Parody?.  You can find the text for the 2004 ads here.  I was particularly

inspired to go hug a lawyer by this one:

Script 3 – “Rule of Law”:

Voice 1: To read the headlines, it seems our way of life is open to attack from inside

and outside forces.
Voice 2: We live in challenging times.
Voice 1: Change seems certain.
Voice 2: But one thing doesn’t change. . . our system of government. . . based not

on the politics of the moment. . .but on the rule of law.
Voice 1: The founders of our country made it that way.
Voice 2: Think about it.
Voice 1: The law. . .it’s your business. This message brought to you by the 72-thousand

member New York State Bar Association and the New York State Broadcasters Association.

tiny check  If you care about the future of lawyer advertising, you should check out the proposed ad rules from the Florida Bar’s “Advertising Task Force 2004”, which is seeking comments until Dec. 31. (via SunEthics)

tiny check I hope J. Craig Williams will turn his many talents to this story: “Judge’s role in quarrel queriedboxer smf

City Court jurist allegedly went toward defendant in heated exchange” (Albany (NY) Times Union, Dec. 8, 2004)

No one present is talking, and the steno’s transcript abruptly stops.  The article notes: 

“Sources said the argument between the two became so heated that Carter allegedly threw his robe

to the ground after he launched from his bench”

1. Oooh, those are great! Too bad you can’t buy them online.

Comment by Denise Howell — December 9, 2004 @ 1:23 am

2. Oooh, those are great! Too bad you can’t buy them online.

3. Glad you like, ’em, Denise.  It is strange that Squeak Shoes would have AdWord ads but not an online sales option.  As for the shoes themselves, they seem to be like a lot of toddlers — really cute, but often too noisy.  As with many toys whose batteries I have removed, I’d be taking the squeaker mechanism out of these babies a lot.

Comment by David Giacalone — December 9, 2004 @ 8:49 am

4. Glad you like, ’em, Denise.  It is strange that Squeak Shoes would have AdWord ads but not an online sales option.  As for the shoes themselves, they seem to be like a lot of toddlers — really cute, but often too noisy.  As with many toys whose batteries I have removed, I’d be taking the squeaker mechanism out of these babies a lot.