f/k/a archives . . . real opinions & real haiku

February 16, 2005

the dust settles

Filed under: pre-06-2006 — David Giacalone @ 4:31 pm

through the open door . . .

her smile doesn’t forgive

all my sins

the daughter taps flour

into a mixing bowl . . .

mother’s apron tight

cedar walking cane

hangs from the coat rack

dust on the handles curves

“schoolBrooks” Randy Brooks, from School’s Out (Press Here, 1999)  

by dagosan:  

dust on the spine

of each cookbook —

soup can in the sink

[Feb. 16, 2005]

“tinyredcheck”  Issue-spotting 101: It seems that some of the greatest professorial minds

in the weblawg world never thought about Weblog Tips as possibly being income. 

TaxProffer Paul Caron sets ’em straight.  Where did you land on the test curve?

tiny check  Ealier today, I noticed that there were 32 hits on my Referer List for the Google coffee cup gray

Foods to Eat While Driving.  Speaking of issue spotting, try to guess them and their order

before clicking for the article from Insurance.com.   (okay, a hint: Coffee is #1, Chocolate #10.)

tiny check I agree with Carolyn Elefant that writing about the ethical lapses of others can be

humbling.  She asks today whether lawyers who end up swamped with discipline violations

were salvageable or are inherently bad.  Both kinds exist, I am sure.

“tinyquestion”  Have you noticed how many USA-born webloggers spell the word “gray” with an

“e” [“grey”]?  I even caught myself about to do it last week.  Affectations-R-Us.  The

Fool in the Forest would at least have the excuse of hanging around a lot of British poets.  Not so

him, him, or him.  Of course, some of us naturally straddle the fence.

tiny check  Personally, I’m not as fond of the adjective “outrageous” as some webloggers seem to

be.   Before hurling verbal grenades or nukes (as opposed to raising a red flag or shooting a warning

shot in the air), it makes sense to consider the source of the story and go to some level-headed and

original sources.  Sometimes you’ll find the extremists were right, but creating unwarranted cynicism

doesn’t seem to be a helpful goal.

“tinyquestionN”  Ever wonder What Do Exit Polls and Flu Vaccine Shortages Have in Common?
An essay by Bert Foer, Bob Lande, and Mike Scherer, of the American Antitrust Institute offers an

answer. (Hint: it’s not just bad luck; think: excessive concentration, too few alternative sources).

“tinyredcheck”  The saddest thing about Charlie Rose‘s interview last night with the Godfathers of

Blog was their agreement that they all get enormous amounts of intensely angry and ugly messages.

Second worse thing: they all forgot to add the “we” back to “blog.”

1. Not so him

Thanks for pubicly embarassing me for mispelling words.

Comment by Mike — February 17, 2005 @ 8:45 pm

2. Not so him

3. Wait, wait, Michael.  Despite Mr. Webster’s conclusion about the correct orthography, I wasn’t tring to embarrass you for misspelling “gray,” I was embarrassing you for adopting the British and Canadian spelling of the word, despite your downhome American roots.   However, now that I see how you spell “mispell” and “embarass”, I see that the problem may not be your putting on airs (or heirs).  So, are you putting us on?

Comment by David Giacalone — February 17, 2005 @ 9:01 pm

4. Wait, wait, Michael.  Despite Mr. Webster’s conclusion about the correct orthography, I wasn’t tring to embarrass you for misspelling “gray,” I was embarrassing you for adopting the British and Canadian spelling of the word, despite your downhome American roots.   However, now that I see how you spell “mispell” and “embarass”, I see that the problem may not be your putting on airs (or heirs).  So, are you putting us on?

5. You missed the best one – “pubicly.” David, my friend, your battle at MyShingle must has dulled your ability to spot jokes.

Comment by Mike — February 17, 2005 @ 10:30 pm

6. You missed the best one – “pubicly.” David, my friend, your battle at MyShingle must has dulled your ability to spot jokes.

Powered by WordPress