Concerted labor activity: HUCTW elections in the FAS Arts Region

ø

Mr. Stephen Marley
Director of Human Resources
Harvard College Library

Sir:

I am told that Ms. Genevieve Butler – one of my opponents in the upcomimg HUCTW election for Executive Board in the FAS Arts region – asked for upaid leave to campaign. I am told that her request was denied. If true, it is deeply disturbing. While I cannot speak for the courts, I can speak for myself. This looks to me like management interference in concerted labor activity.

In the past, HUCTW Elections have typically turned out only 1/3 of the membership. The recent S.E.I.U. election turned out 2/3 of their Union. Obviously, HUCTW has been a less participatory Union and the legitimacy of its representation open to question. That must change. In the past, Union elections have taken place with a minimum of notification or less. It appeared that, due in large part to advocacy on my part and others, we were doing better this time. You have undermined that progress. We as Union members may differ about who and how this is to be done, but we agree about what is to be done. The Union must be more participatory. Hampering campaign efforts of any Union member through an arbitrary excercise of management privilege is unacceptable. It shows a lack of respect for and trust in all Union members. And it is not for the good of Harvard.

I urge you to reverse this decision immediately so that she, Ms. Delacey and I can get on with the business of communicating with our colleagues. While I cannot speak for Ms. Delacey, I have every confidence that she will join in this.

Sincerely,

Philip R. Fenstermacher
Doorchecker (HUCTW)

previous:
To my new old friend Joe who knows more than I do about the situation in Syria…
next:
Students Occupy Administration Building at UNC- Chapel Hill