Save Money From Salary

If you are considering a career change but not sure whether or not you can afford it or it will require some time to re-train outside work, then saving will make all the difference. When I was thinking about a career change, I started saving as much as possible from my salary. I did this because I wanted to have a small amount of savings to fall back on during tough financial times ahead.  For a financial emergency take a look at Loanza’s urgent same day loans.

I reduced the amount of alcohol I consumed. Before COVID, we started meeting with my friends at their flats instead of meeting at restaurants, bars, or pubs. I also stopped buying new clothes and started taking the bus instead of the train when possible. I also started looking for side jobs to make some extra money during hours that worked for me.

Essentially, I started living with a shoestring student budget mentality again while earning a permanent salary. That said, here are my top tips for saving money from salary:

Sell any sellable clothes or gadgets 

Delete Uber and Deliveroo (or consider switching to working for them once in a while)

Consider pulling out of that mates holiday this year

Shave and paint your own nails over wax and Shellac (Amazon has cheap DIY gel kits. Go over there and get them).

Pause some debits for a few months if possible. If you are using Netflix, Spotify, Audible, Amazon prime, and a monthly coffee subscription box, consider cutting a few of them temporarily.

Ask yourself whether switching your utility suppliers can help you save money. Comparison websites and websites offering advice like moneysavingexpert.com can help you when it comes to this. Use them.

Switching your phone contract to a SIM-only deal can help you save money (a SIM-only deal costs £10 per month while a contract costs between £30 and £40. I use Smarty and get 30GB per month for £10 and it rocks.

Download savings apps and link them to your current account. Some apps round up your spending to the nearest pound and can help you save without noticing. Other apps analyze your spending and advise on where you can save. Have a look at Chip, Moneybox, and Squirrel though there are other options.

Explore budgeting apps and current accounts like Monzo to help you know where your money goes and help improve budgeting.

Switch to a high-interest bank account or one that will give you a cashback sum and put all your savings in the account if possible. Do extensive research. You will find that there are many deals if you do so.

Take on a side-gig if possible. A few hours a week doing things such as market research, tutoring, managing the social media for a small business, TV & film extra work, proofreading and babysitting will help you make extra money over a few months.

Try a more drastic thing like looking for a flat with cheaper rent and moving there for one year or moving back in with your parents or relatives.

If you go to a gym, consider downgrading your membership to a cheaper option, sticking to running outdoors, or changing the gym for a few months.

Whenever you go out, get Groupon deals and dining club discount cards like the Tastecard. Consider signing up for things such as Meerkat Movies rather than buying cinema tickets.

Consider making your own packed lunches for work every day instead of buying lunch every day. This will help you save a lot of money over the span of a whole year. Apart from helping you save money, taking your own food to work is healthier as you are more likely to use healthier, more natural ingredients when making your own food.