Don’t Count on Argentina to Help Fight Terror

Click on title.

1. susana

July 15, 2005 @ 3:49 pm

1

I read the article with interest, since I was born in Argentina. (I’m an American citizen).I have to say that this article is the kind of article that gives a bad image of a country populated by great people who have been shaken by a horrible economic crisis in the last years, and are striving hard to overcome it. Granted, unfortunately, they have the President they have, but he really wasn’t elected by the people, right? At least, not in this, his present term… This is the kind of article that read by an American with no knowledge of Latin America, will prevent him from traveling there on vacations thinking that the whole place is bursting out with Osamas…The irony of it all is that on the same week, the Washington Post in its travel section had a huge spread on Buenos Aires and how great of a country Argentina is to visit… I also have a problem with the writer stopping short from saying what in Argentina is common knowledge: the reason why Kirschner won’t prosecute Montoneros is because he himself –and Mrs. Kirschner– were part of the pack in their youth. I think the author has said more than any other journalist has dared say in an article, but could have gone all the way for total disclosure’sake. Thirdly, I’m not convinced Argentina is incubating terrorists the way the article portrays it… unless we want to admit that we too, in the US are harboring terrorists… Terrorists by their very nature will be a moving target, so, let’s not be so dogmatic labeling countries like Argentina, there are other countries where it is confirmed their being hosted, but I don’t think that’s the case for Argentina… even in spite of having Kirschner as the President!