Want to Fight Against Internet Censorship? Become a Herdict Local Outreach Coordinator
Herdict, a project that uses crowdsourcing to collect and disseminate real-time information about Internet filtering, denial of service attacks, and other blockages, is looking for netizens in Egypt, China, Turkey, and Thailand to help us out!
These individuals would be volunteers who are passionate about Internet freedom and eager to help Herdict expand its user base.
We would like to invite motivated students and young researchers to apply to be a Herdict Local Outreach Coordinator. These coordinators will help shape the future of Herdict, and the Internet as a whole, by conducting outreach activities in their communities, cities, and countries, and by relaying important information back to the Herdict staff at the Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University.
What we’re looking for:
- Motivated individuals who are passionate about Internet freedom and are excited about furthering Herdict’s mission.
- Innovative thinkers with creative outreach ideas and strong social networks.
- Those with relevant experience in outreach efforts, including (but not limited to) campaign work, fundraising activities, and volunteer recruitment, are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Native speakers of Russian, Chinese, Arabic, Turkish, and Thai speakers are strongly encouraged to apply, but you must be fluent in English as well.
- Gain experience in volunteer recruitment strategies while working on the forefront of new and exciting issues in Internet filtration and access.
- Exceptional Local Outreach Coordinators may get the opportunity to blog for Herdict.
- Featured Member of the Month opportunities, including Herdict gear giveaways and Herdict site publicity for featured members.
- We would be happy to provide references for active Coordinators.
- Expand Herdict’s user base and increase Herdict activity within your country using social media tools such as Twitter and Facebook.
- Mobilize Herdict reporting in response to censorship events as they occur.
- Produce weekly updates for Herdict including relevant current events.
- Curate and manage the Herdict website queue for your country.
- Please email the following information to LOC@Herdict<dot>org
- Applicants should expect to provide:
- A cover letter indicating your interest in the position
- A current resume
- Contact information for at least two references
- The deadline for the first round of application submissions is October 30, 2011.
Please direct any questions regarding these opportunities or your applications to LOC@Herdict<dot>org.
We look forward to hearing from you soon!
The Herdict Team
P.S. Remember to check out and apply for Hack4Transparency in Brussels by Monday, October 17th!