Lover and Beloved

In this blog, I will be talking about the Sufi mystical experience and the theme of the interaction between the lover and the beloved. In week 10 we focused on the Sufi mystic experience. My creative piece for this blog is a drawing showing a bird and a rose. They represent the lover and the beloved. In the Sufi art form, there is a reoccurring theme of the interaction between the lover and the beloved. Although using a word like the beloved suggests a passive relationship, the reality is that the relationship is filled with action between the Devine and humanity. Sufis often document this relationship in Ghazals ” To Ghazal poets; nature is particularly full of analogies to his experience in love” (Bruin pp,63). Sufi artwork often contains a description of our relationship with God using nature. In my piece, I am attempting to convey the admiration of the rose by the dove. I must confess this imagery is highly influenced by probably the most recognizable Sufi poetry, the Conference of the Birds. Ghazals are another example of the artistic nature of the Islamic experience. Muslims, since inception, have had their interaction with God shaped by the arts. Sufi mysticism highlights a personal experience with God that doesn’t have to be shaved by collective consciousness as we may find in other Muslim groups. By this, I mean people are actively encouraged to get on a path that draws them close to the Devine to archive spirituality. This is why there is a singular dove, and a singular rose in my depiction of the Devine and the beloved.