Cyber Plague

November 20th, 2017

Around 7th grade, I realized I couldn’t go any longer without a laptop. My mom told me if I wanted one I could buy one, so I looked online for the best deal and found a package deal that included a decent laptop, a mouse, a case and free spyware protection. Little did I know that the spyware was one of the spies. A young and more naive version of myself had no idea that Kaspersky was a Russian multinational cyber security company that was known for doing more than simply protecting computers. As of now, they are just allegations, but it’s hard to trust a company with the task of ensuring your privacy with even the seed of doubt in their integrity. These days we all have to worry about cyber mischief. There was a game that was extremely popular a few years ago called Plague that involved trying to spread a disease as far as you could without being detected in order to wipe out the whole world. Cyber attacks work in a similar manner. The name of the game is to spread a virus without being detected so that when you activate it, its effects are harder to stop. A lot of people have the misconception that the US government doesn’t really know what goes on online, but they likely know more than they let on; after all, you can’t win a game by showing the opponent your cards.

The biggest difference between espionage, crime and war is whether or not we want the adversary to know who is attacking them. When you’re trying to spy and commit cyber crimes, anonymity is key. In the most recent US presidential election, Russia didn’t try to be covert in their involvement in creating conflict. They didn’t care that we knew what they were up to or about having decent tradecraft because it still had its destructive effect. In an overt intelligence operation, you are doing the opposite of being secretive or covert. In order to have quality cyber command, it is just important to defend the military works and to figure out how to effectively exploit the resources of the adversary.

4 Responses to “Cyber Plague”

1. Dave Dayanan Says:

This is great that a young person like you already took this things seriously. I know you’ll gonna be working as one of the great software security companies. Thanks Jay.

2. Mike Smith Says:

Great thoughts. I’ve been thinking more about why Russia wouldn’t care who actually knew. The simplest explanation on which I’ve landed is that they couldn’t see any way for the U.S. government to stop what they were doing. Hiding what you’re doing takes effort, and why should you expend that effort if the victim can’t stop you even if the victim knows that you’re attacking them? The U.S. still doesn’t know what to do if we were to have another presidential election starting tomorrow. It’s not (overt, physical) war and it’s not crime, but it’s also not espionage.

3. USA Proxies Says:

Just about all of what you say happens to be supprisingly legitimate and that makes me wonder the reason why I hadn’t looked at this in this light before. This particular piece really did switch the light on for me as far as this subject matter goes. Nevertheless there is just one factor I am not necessarily too comfortable with and whilst I attempt to reconcile that with the central theme of the position, allow me see exactly what the rest of the readers have to say.Very well done.

4. USA Proxies Says:

Hey, I think your site might be having browser compatibility issues. When I look at your website in Chrome, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that, excellent blog!