Government announces compensation for 1984 victims

September 14, 2005 | Comments Off on Government announces compensation for 1984 victims

On September 12, the Delhi government announced a Rs 1.25 lakh compensation
for each of 2,996 people injured in the 1984 anti-Sikh pogroms.
This decision by the Delhi Cabinet was made after the Delhi High Court
ordered the state government to compensate those injured based on a
plea filed by Manjit Singh, a victim of the pogroms. The government
decided not to appeal the order.

The
day before the government announced the compensation, the 1984 Sikh
Rehabilitation Action Committee Punjab (Bathinda Zone) released a press statement asserting
that the state government misled victims of the 1984 anti-Sikh pogroms
“like the previous governments in the state”.

In
the press statement, Karam Singh, the committee president, said about
3,000 Sikh families were ruined in the 1984 pogroms, of which a large
number were settled in Punjab.

He
said about 446 such families had shifted to Bathinda, a list of which
the Deputy Commissioner had already sent to the state government. Out
of these, 14 families were yet to be issued cards. He said the
aggrieved persons had even given affidavits to the DC for the same
during the Akali regime in 2001.

He termed the PM’s apology for the 1984 riots as a “political stunt”.

Karam Singh added that the
Prime Minister should take necessary measures for the rehabilitation of
the families affects by the violence and their businesses


Comments

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind