My community, my thinking and I

January 1st, 2003 by MrLuxuryFashionGuru

Many people have told me that, in many ways, I am the antithesis of what my upbringing and my circumstances should have produced. They stare in amazement when I tell them about my background and my schooling experiences, wondering how I ever came to be who I am. It is clear to me, however, that I have been shaped extensively by my upbringing in Asia.

I grew up in Singapore, a multi-ethnic tropical nation-state that, within one generation, went from rural village to bustling metropolis. As a result, Singapore is a study in juxtaposition: the ancient with the avant-garde, the traditional with the trendy. Consequently, I have always had a great love for the very old, archaic roots of culture — traditional language, music, architecture and even vintage clothing. To me, such things speak of a rich history and a precious heritage. Hence, it has given me great joy to travel to places bearing such reminders of the past, such as the ruins of Carthage in Tunisia, Ephesus in Turkey, the Forbidden City in China, and the Alhambra in Spain. On the other hand, I have always been one to embrace the new and the modern; for example, I took instantly to the Internet and taught myself HTML. As such, I have developed a delicate internal balancing act, accepting the latest developments and integrating the newest technology into my life, while respecting and preserving the roots that ground my identity.

People are sometimes surprised that I have any identity at all. This is due to the fact that most of my schooling years were spent in Confucian, Chinese-style schools which, for the most part, scorn independent thought, creativity and individualism. Instead, they espouse a style of spoon-fed rote learning and champion the inculcation of Asian values and solidarity.

It is true that most Asian societies are inclined to repress individualism for the sake of societal homogeneity and harmony, which is potentially beneficial when practised in moderation. However, my high school, Dunman High School, took this principle to extremes. The most notoriously Draconian and Maoist Chinese school in Singapore, Dunman High had to be experienced to be believed. Prefects, mostly Chinese nationals, wore red armbands, a la the Red Guards, students were called to morning assembly by the haunting, whistled melody of “Bridge Over the River Kwai”, and every regulation was strictly enforced, down to the color and style of female undergarments. It is surprising, then, that Dunman was consistently the top-ranked co-ed school in the country, with the most expensive campus and lots of extra government funding for computers and other equipment.

Despite the strongly Chinese environment at Dunman (or perhaps because of it), I continued to read English books voraciously, having never been strongly inclined to reading Mandarin books. Thus, even as I was immersed in the most traditional of ethnic Chinese culture, my English actually improved, something I put to full use at Dunman. I participated actively in English drama and eventually became head of the English Drama Society, I put together a debating team that consistently won school titles, and I took to the stage for oratorical competitions.

I am happy to say that I survived four years at Dunman, even flourishing there. Perhaps it was my adaptable spirit. Perhaps it was my optimism. Perhaps it was a guardian angel, who knows? One thing is for sure – Dunman formed my respect for teachers, my sense of propriety and my ability to see the value of discipline.

Come junior year, I chose to enter Raffles Junior College, the most diametrically-opposed school to Dunman there is. Raffles is a Western-styled, multi-ethnic school that strongly encourages independent thought and learning. I loved it. In no time, I was fully integrated into the school, managing to hold my own in the classroom and in the debating arena, where I was part of the team that won a national title. I even found myself on the international stage due to competitions such as ThinkQuest.

No one ever guessed that I was an ex-Dunmanian. While making the most of the cultural heritage I have been exposed to, I have also managed to forge my own path. Grounded in my culture, I look forward to blazing that path well into the future

Jason S. Yeo, Oct 2000

24 Responses to “My community, my thinking and I”

1. Jeffrey Nocar Says:

The content on this submit is really a single of the most beneficial material that I’ve ever are available across. I love your submit, I’ll arrive back to examine for new posts.

2. Johnette Fricker Says:

I am grateful to you for this good content. You genuinely did make my day :

3. Sydney Spiess Says:

Maintain up the great function mate. This web site article indicates how nicely you comprehend and know this subject.

4. Mel Smoldt Says:

hi. I just discovered treasured website plus I really need to believe that this particular is a fantastic page. Thx pertaining to this unique information and facts.

5. Jami Willhite Says:

Maintain up the beneficial perform mate. This website publish exhibits how nicely you comprehend and know this subject.

6. Gearldine Burkin Says:

A actually very good submit by you my good friend. I’ve bookmarked this web page and can occur again following several days to verify for just about any new posts that you just make.

7. Janee Didonna Says:

This has definitely sparked up an idea in my mind. This can be a superb weblog article.

8. Joesph Gilly Says:

This important is one of the top-quality article that My spouse and i have read through till date on this excellent theme. Unquestionably descriptive nevertheless to the point whilst not having any sort of fluff.

9. madrid 24 h Says:

Thought I would comment and say awesome theme, did you make it on your own? Looks great!

10. Shinco Says:

Tyvm for the great post! I would not have found this myself!

11. madrid Says:

Llegué aquí a través de google y leyendo tu web entiendo que se nota que controlas de lo que escribes. Muy buenos tus posts en general y este en particular. Guardado en mis favoritos. Saludos desde Sevilla

12. Darlene Dinwoodie Says:

Man I love this comment and it is so fabulous and I am gonna save it. I Have to say the Superb analysis you have done is trully remarkable.No one goes that extra mile these days? Well Done 🙂 Just another tip you caninstall a Translator for your Global Readers !!

13. name Says:

A thick, soupy type of fog that is rare in Florida c,

14. criminal attorney new york Says:

I am really impressed with your writing skills and also with the layout on your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself? Either way keep up the nice quality writing, it’s rare to see a great blog like this one today

15. business opportunities Says:

We wish to thank you once more for the stunning ideas you gave Janet when preparing her post-graduate research and, most importantly, for providing the many ideas within a blog post. Provided we had been aware of your blog a year ago, we might have been kept from the needless measures we were choosing. Thanks to you.

16. jordan 11 shoes Says:

I really favor in your blog!The great masterpiece with nice and informative post and topic that move me and enlarged my eyeline quite a lot.Thanks for sharing with us.Best regards!

17. egg fried rice Says:

Hi, I really admire the way u put the subject… maybe you could come to my site and give me a few tipps. thx in advance

18. Kyle Says:

Ongelma ei pysty käydä vessassa on poistettu. Nyt ongelma on voi lopettaa menossa. : ( .

19. William Says:

Wow! This could be one particular of the most helpful blogs We have ever arrive across on this subject. Actually Wonderful. I am also an expert in this topic so I can understand your hard work.

20. Zenith Elite Ultra Thin Lady Moonphase – "On-the-Wrist" Review – (37 Replies) | Hello Watches! Says:

[…] watch bands seiko watch in dubai seiko watch repair seiko watches seiko watches for men seiko wecker seikon no qwaser seikon no qwaser episode 1 seikon […]

21. Demarcus Reitzel Says:

Hello our family just loves your striking editorial thank you and pls keep on going

22. Emeline Dena Says:

I am glad for commenting to make you know what a great discovery my cousin’s daughter had visiting the blog. She figured out a lot of details, most notably what it’s like to possess an amazing giving style to make men and women with no trouble learn various complex subject areas. You truly did more than our own expectations. Many thanks for rendering these useful, trustworthy, revealing and even unique tips on your topic to Gloria.

23. call girls in orange county Says:

What would all of us do minus the brilliant strategies you share on this web site? Who has the persistence to deal with vital topics just for common readers like me? I actually and my buddies are very fortunate to have your web site among the kinds we often visit. We hope you know how much we enjoy your effort! Best wishes through us all.

24. jam replika Says:

Rolex has trademarked the name "Submariner" but not the overall design. If you look close at the two watches side by side, you will notice minor differences between them, beyond the quality, so the Invicta is not an "exact" copy.