Lovin’ it

June 2nd, 2005 by MrLuxuryFashionGuru

Edit: My London address (chez Laurel):
31 Eleanor Close, London SE16 6PE, UK

I’ll eventually get my own phone number, but untill then… I can be reached by phone on either Laurel’s mobile or at the office:
+44 (0) 78 8074 1553 (Laurel)
+44 (0) 20 7613 3061
(Office)

I like London very much so far.  As I remarked to Naabia today while walking to lunch, the city is not afraid to be both really historic and yet also very colourful, literally.  Whereas (in my mind) Boston is mostly the one brick-red hue, and New York is kind of mostly grey, London is all sorts of blues and pinks and yellows.  It may just be that it’s spring and the sun is out (rising at about 4am and not setting till like 9pm?!), but still, I like it here.

Another thing that London has got right is the Tube system, which is clean and beautiful.  Admittedly it is not very reliable – it seems that every day some line will suffer “severe delays” due to “signalling problems”.  Which is pretty bizarre, since Boston, New York and Paris seem to get along just fine with equally old and extensive underground systems.  Despite that, I’d still take the Tube any day over the grimy, smelly, cracked-tile-and-exposed-concrete warren that is the New York subway.

But one thing the Americans have over Europeans in general is the no smoking rule in pubs, bars and nightclubs.  I hate having my clothes become unwearable because they’re stinky with cigarette smoke.  Especially here where people go from the office to the pub and back to the office, practically.

The Frontier office is really cool, not just the physical space, but also the people there.  All marine biologists and zoologists who’ve lived everywhere studying biodiversity and conservation related issues.  Australian reefs, South African sharks, Peruvian primates, Madagascan spiny forests.  A laid back, good-hearted, optimistic bunch.

And the work they’re having me do is both interesting and useful too.  Amongst other things, Paul has planned for us to write a PADI grant proposal each.  And today I compiled copies of academic papers requested by the scientists in Tanzania and Nicaragua writing papers in the field – many productive hours of using OVID and JSTOR to search for keyterms like “predator urine”, “columbrid regurgitation” and “elephant pheromones”.  It was quite amusing.

*happy*

PS: Must stop overeating.  Yesterday I think I was at 3,000 kcals, including many many sour wine gums from Frankfurt duty free.  And today, although I’d decided not to eat a substantial lunch, and no dinner, I went with Naabia to get cod & chips (mmm), and then Laurel and Kenneth took me to a cute Indian place for dinner, from which I am *still* stuffed.

13 Responses to “Lovin’ it”

1. Laurel Says:

You think that the tube is CLEAN??!!

2. Jason S. Yeo Says:

Have you *seen* or **smelt** the T in Boston or the subway in NYC? Ugh.

3. peiyan Says:

Have fun in london! I want to go back too! and, I do think the tube IS better than the boston T too.

4. peiyan Says:

Btw, there is this pub along gloucester rd that serves good beer battered fish and chips. A must try. not to mention, the four seasons duck and lobster noodles!

5. flora Says:

hihi! *waves* so nice to hear from laurel and peiyan, i felt that i must leave a comment here! =) jason: it sounds like you’re gonna have a great time in london! *jealous~!*

6. Jason S. Yeo Says:

Thanks for the recommendation, Peiyan – I’ll be sure to check it out 🙂 And Flora, I’ll see you in August!

7. miley Says:

Your topic On The Move… » Blog Archive » Lovin’ it was interesting.I found it on Wednesday searching for office phone number.Please Keep posting on office phone number.

8. how to attract woman Says:

Gotta say, I’ve always been kinda interested in the entire pheramone industry. It’s very absorbing, since we really are creatures underneath all the levels of logic and rationalization. I could unquestionably regard it 2 way street, since the natural attraction moves execute amazingly effectively to appeal to the opposite gender.

9. Bob Hammond Says:

I haven’t had a drag in 6 years. The most severe aspect about quitting most likely the initial month or so. Thank God this those effects went away quickly and stuff improved daily due to the e cigarettes. Do not stop trying. Just simply be strong and you could very well realize success once and for all.

10. Ashleigh Vostal Says:

You made some nice points there. I did a search on the subject and found most persons will approve with your website.

11. Alex Darwin Says:

hey all, have been simply checkin’ out this blog and I really admire the basis of the article, and don’t have anything to do, so if anyone would like to to have an engrossing convo about it, please contact me on AIM, my name is heather smith

12. Kristan Oberst Says:

Hi: very informative post. In case you need to gather more information on nightclubs, I’ve been using this exclusive source do research on <a href=”http://rateclubs.com”>Nightclubs</a>

13. seafoodchef Says:

I second your appreciation of smoke free night clubs, pubs and clubs and your negative felling about the dirty conditions in the NY subways. When you travel on subways in other countries and see how clean they can be you wonder why can’t NY be as clean.

All the best,
    Seafood Chef