The final stretch… and a fumble

December 6th, 2005 by MrLuxuryFashionGuru

I’d like to tell myself that I am secure and rational enough not to be emotionally affected by less-than-ideal grades.  But then of course I would be deceiving myself.

Today I received back a paper I wrote for my International Law class several weeks ago.  It was nerve-wrecking because it was long enough ago that I had completely forgotten what I had written about and only remembered the rather middling grade my first paper had received.  So it was fairly gratifying (and a huge relief) that it made a good grade.

And then a couple of hours later I received the worst grade I’ve ever gotten on a response paper.  Again.  This TF just really detests the work I turn it.  The first time I figured maybe I was misunderstanding her expectations so I put a lot more work into the second one trying to conform to her (vague) advice.  A lot of good that did me.  This time she just wrote, “Jason, quit blabbering” (in French) and slapped me with a failing grade.  And slapped is right.   For about fifteen minutes after that I was in a stunned, depressive daze (can you imagine?).  Unbelievable.  This woman is going to destroy my good track record with the French department and crush my little heart while she’s at it.  *chin trembles*  Yes, yes I know: noone likes a loser whining about his failures.  I’ll just shut up now, and revert to rationality – now where’d I put my masculinity?  Yes, there it is.  Much better.

There must be some way to fix this.  Or at least make it less bad.

Now all I have to do is survive this last couple of weeks and:

a) Write a killer 5-page final paper for my MIT class.  I really *really* want to do well in this class.  It would be so disappointing to me if I couldn’t produce good work for this inspiring professor teaching a life-changing class.  Of course she has an incredibly challenging brief for this final assignment (“Pretend you’re writing a one page piece for The New Yorker.”)
b) Write a second Justice paper that impresses my TF more decisively than the first one (his request).  This is going to be hard…
c) Write a second/final French paper (and perhaps two more response papers) to rescue my currently very

4 Responses to “The final stretch… and a fumble”

1. flora Says:

hey jason! JIAYOU~! *pat on the back* =)

2. David James Says:

This one is an inspiration, which uncovers heaps of info related to this subject. I need to confess your knowledge matched my sentiments. I’m going to now take your feed to stay updated on each coming weblog post you would possibly create. You are hereby thanked for a job perfectly carried out!

3. Alex Darwin Says:

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I really feel strongly about it and love learning extra on this topic. If possible, as you acquire expertise, would you mind updating your blog with extra information? It is extremely helpful for me.

4. breast pumps at walmart Says:

Such a helpful blogpost! Thnx for giving out this blog post..