Caution: Academic-in-training

January 9th, 2006 by MrLuxuryFashionGuru

Unbelievable.  I’m actually done with my French paper.  Right on schedule.  And about a week before the deadline.  Can you believe it??  LOL.  And it’s even slightly less anaemic than I thought it would be – I wrote about six and a half pages for the 6-8 page guideline.  You have to understand that at one point I was worried enough to resort to inserting three full pages of pictures to try and bulk the paper out (this reminds me a bit of the City paper I wrote for the same professor last year, and that ended up being pretty long on its own anyway).  Fortunately the pictures actually gave me inspiration for more stuff to say (mainly because I had to justify their existence and make them seem relevant).  So now the paper is about nine pages with pictures 🙂

The bad news is that I am not one bit closer to fixing my totally out-of-whack sleep cycle (thrown into disarray by going to California and taking random naps all the time there).  Each day since I’ve been back I have gone to bed at progressively later and later (read: more and more perposterous) times.  A couple of days ago it was 4.30am.  Yesterday it was 6.30am.  Right now it’s almost 7am, and I’m thinking I should just go to breakfast…  mmmn.  Breakfast.

Presently I’m really excited about this idea I have for an independent Reading/Research class I want to design for myself.  The inspiration is mainly from an article I happened to come across in some copy of the Annual Review of Anthropology while I was doing work for my research assistant job.  The abstract caught my eye because the article (“The Anthropology of Tourism”) seemed both relevant to the French paper I was working on (the one I just finished writing), as well as just very appealing on a personal level.  I’ve always been fascinated by marketing and tourism and the environment (hey, I’m studying ESPP and I’m a college tourguide!).  So when I read through the article it really made me tingle with excitement (which is always such a good feeling) and motivation to learn more.  In short, since the college somehow doesn’t have any real course offerings on the subject (apparently it’s quite a new field of study), I’m going to try and put together my own class exploring the anthropology of tourism, based on some of the many syllabi I manged to download from other colleges.  *tingle*  (Apologies to the various people who’ve heard me prattle on about how exciting this is to me – Supinda, Andrew, Woj, Doug, XW…)

In other really geeky academic news, I’m really happy with the reading I’m doing for the research paper I’ve decided to write for my Libertarian economics class.  In the past twelve hours I’ve read possibly fifty articles from a huge variety of sources – the Economist, PubMed, JStor, National Geographic Magazine, UNAIDS, the WHO, the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, TB, Malaria…  so very exciting!  I hope this paper turns out well, at the very least in honor of all this extra research and reading I’m doing.

Ok, it’s past 7am now.  I should start getting dressed, and by the time I’m done the breakfast grill will be open.  Omelette time!  🙂

11 Responses to “Caution: Academic-in-training”

1. Motivation Articles Says:

I Like to read about motivation articles.Got your page on Thursday.Your Post On The Move… » Blog Archive » Caution: Academic-in-training is really Nice.Thanks.

2. Lilla Brox Says:

Hi, thanks for the info. Please, watch this one: send flowers to bangladesh

3. Niamh Carter Says:

i always used to send flowes on my ex-GF but now i seldom do so~”:

4. Magazine Says:

reat sharing…….

5. Knife Sets · Says:

sending flowers to love ones is of course necessary that is why i always choose the best flowers to send :

6. dfgfgf Says:

I image this could be numerous upon the written content material? even so I nonetheless believe that it can be appropriate for nearly any type of topic subject material, as a result of it might frequently be pleasurable to resolve a warm and delightful face or perhaps hear a voice whilst preliminary landing.

7. David James Says:

hey all, have been simply checkin’ out this weblog and I actually admire the basis of the article, and don’t have anything to do, so if anybody want to to have an engrossing convo about it, please contact me on AIM, my identify is heather smith

8. Andrew Simpson Says:

Hey – nice weblog, simply browsing round some blogs, looks like a reasonably nice platform you are using. I’m at the moment using Drupal for a few of my websites but trying to change one of them over to the identical platform as yours as a trial run. Something specifically you’ll suggest about it?

9. Marcelina Bro Says:

I admire the valuable facts you offer in your articles. I will bookmark your blog and have my children check up here typically. I am rather certain they will learn lots of new stuff here than anybody else!

10. Zilvinas Juraska Says:

Have you ever thought about adding a little bit more than just your articles? I mean, what you say is important and all. However think about if you added some great visuals or videos to give your posts more, “pop”! Your content is excellent but with images and video clips, this site could definitely be one of the best in its field. Great blog!

11. Air jordan 20 Says:

It is a enjoyment to read your blog. The brief page style is really my type. Most important is your articles, fantastic!