Just before bed

April 29th, 2006 by MrLuxuryFashionGuru

It’s been a pretty difficult, work-heavy week.  One working all-nighter, many completely filled days of classes, meetings, rehearsals and more work.  TGIF, I say.

Today, I partially repaid my sleep debt, I went to my favorite store and spent the afternoon at Prof H’s author conference as a scribe, which was both interesting and gratifying.  I really respect her eloquence of speech, which always sounds so textured, informed and composed in a way not commonly associated with extemporaneous speaking.

And then afterwards, unexpectedly, there was a very lovely dinner at Casablanca, where we shared appetizers, but I also ordered duck liver paté and the venison entrée.  Hmmmn.  I was so stuffed.  In fact, I still am stuffed, and it’s just past 4am.

But sitting amongst all the career academics and listening to their flurry of conversation about the institutions they had studied and taught at, their thoughts on publishing academic work and questions of audience, readership and marketability, I was never more glad for the classes I’m taking now.  Concepts, ideas and frameworks referred to as germane to the dinner conversation included Derrida, Bakhtin and Wittgenstein (“Wittgenstein is very clear about this: you don’t change people’s minds, you change the language games”), all of whom I have read this past semester.  Or was assigned to have read this semester; technically I didn’t read either the Bakhtin (which I lugged to Madagascar) or the Wittgenstein (though I have a lovely hardbound 50th anniversary commemorative edition).  As a bonus I also recognized the South African wine ordered (Glen Carlou) from having bought some of their very excellent 2002 Pinot Noir in London last summer.

And now, having watched Madagascar with Emily and Mary, followed by the sort of meandering, profound conversations that occur in common rooms after 2am, I am finally headed to bed.  Goodnight.

11 Responses to “Just before bed”

1. Jonie Epperley Says:

Hi great info Im looking for some Information on a daybed if any body can Help

2. cotton quilted throw Says:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I could not have used better words . This is a area that is dear to my heart and I thought you covered it perfectly. I recently started keeping a blog too but I’m not especiallyskilled at it yet. Would like to read more of your blog and I’ll absolutely come back again!

3. halo 3 Says:

I am speechless. This is a great blog and very engaging too. Great work! That’s not really much coming from an amateur writer like me, but it’s all I could think after diving into your posts. Excellent grammar and vocabulary. Unlike other blogs. You really know what you’re talking about too. So much that you made me want to learn more. Your blog has become a stepping stone for me, my fellow blogger. Thank you for the articulate journey. I really enjoyed the 8 posts that I have read so far.

4. Oren Beirise Says:

hi, I found this web page from yahoo and read numerous of your other blog posts. They are very good. Please continue this great work… Cheers, Steve.

5. Corina Gamberini Says:

Thank you for another excellent article. Where else could anybody get that kind of info in such a perfect way of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I’m on the look for such information.

6. James McLeod Says:

Certainly one of many challenges which people beginning a brand new on-line company face is that of obtaining guests to their net site.

7. divorce lawyer in tucson Says:

It is good every time i stumble on a really great publish similar to that . Finding a bit tired with the bad high quality posts a couple of bloggers jot down on their blogs. Hold it up. You now have a normal customer now!

8. jordan 22 shoes Says:

What a nice photos and paintings that I have never see before!Just a small requirement,can you post a tutorial on the HDRI?I am really have difficulty of getting any real one with this.Thank you very much in advance.

9. Bob Says:

During a recent PASSWORD AUDIT by my bank, they found that I was using the following password:

MickeyMinniePlutoHueyLouieDeweyDonaldGoofyDublin

When they asked me why I had such a long password

I replied
    ”Are you bloomin’ stupid? I was told that my password had to
    be at least 8 characters long and include one capital”

10. Ann Tamayo Says:

An awesome post! Looking forward for more articles from you! Bookmarked!

11. Ocie Gremler Says:

I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you design this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you? Plz reply as I’m looking to create my own blog and would like to find out where u got this from. many thanks