Another travel day, another all-nighter

July 22nd, 2006 by MrLuxuryFashionGuru

Ok, we’re leaving Kyoto today, in about 90 minutes.  It’s past 5.30am right now, and I’ve recently gotten back from a lovely night out in Kyoto (my only night out in this city, in fact).  Some other Dins met some lovely American/Japanese-American girls at the hot springs they visited today, and these girls in turn took us out on the town and we had a marvellous time clubbing the night away.

As usual, there is really too much to say, and I also need to go pack, shower and potentially take a half hour nap before we leave our very nice hotel here (the Takaragaike Prince Hotel), which somehow has surprisingly few facilities – in particular, no pool, gym or fitness facilities of any kind.  So I will instead leave a bunch of impressions I’ve been meaning to share:

– I love how the Japanese taxicab drivers all have neat, livery-style uniforms, and also that they can open the cab door with the touch of a botton (that even controls how far the door swings open).

– I’ve noticed that the Japanese all use full-sized (ie not compact/collapsible) umbrellas, which are often very fancy, and that every store will have an umbrella rack outside the door.

– I love how the Japanese can often be spotted wearing hats.  Yay headgear!

– I *love*love*love* Japanese supermarkets, which are filled with nothing but cool Japanese products and foodstuffs.  Kawaii!! 🙂

– I’m amused by how much aural stimulation occurs here – almost everything talks to you (bus stops, toilets, vending machines) and prattles on constantly.  This also includes any kind of service/hospitality-related transaction; for instance a cashier ringing you up will give an uninterrupted running commentary which I can only guess (since I don’t speak Japanese) goes something like: “Good morning, I see you are buying a bag of chips.  Let me scan that and tell you the price, which is 200 yen.  As you hand me two hundred yen in cash let me put the chips in a carrier for you, together with your receipt. Thank you very much for your purchase, have a nice day and please shop again with us soon.  Goodbye!”

– I’m very impressed with the French restaurant in the hotel, which has served us our (free!) dinners at place settings of Noritake bone china, Christofle silverware and Schott Zweisel stemware.  Very classy.

8 Responses to “Another travel day, another all-nighter”

1. ชุดทำงาน Says:

Hopefully more people can learn from this post what I have. A fantasticcontribution to the world at large

2. ชุดทํางาน Says:

Thanks for a fantasic read, I dont really comment on blogs very much but whileI might as well as your site is very good. Can I ask what theme is this you are using , is it paid one or a free one as I have been looking everywhere for a goodtheme but most of them have horrid footer links.

3. japanese shopping Says:

Hello, I was just reading your post; On The Move… » Blog Archive » Another travel day, another all-nighter. I don’t know if you have seen it or any of your readers but there is a new free shopping application that makes it easy to find the best internet price on any item. I got it last Saturday for free and it still is I am sure.

4. Phyliss Bell Says:

Awesome and a highly facinating post to confirm this awesome blog. Never write any replies however i simply did not resist ..

5. Alex Darwin Says:

Very efficiently written information. It will likely be helpful to anybody who usess it, together with myself. Keep up the nice work – for certain i will try more posts.

6. Air jordan 4 Says:

I can not believe that your opinions on this topic are so close to mine. Thank you for sharing it which make me more confidence on my stand.

7. Michael Says:

During a recent PASSWORD AUDIT by my bank, they found that I was using the following password:

MickeyMinniePlutoHueyLouieDeweyDonaldGoofyDublin

When they asked me why I had such a long password

I replied
    ”Are you bloomin’ stupid? I was told that my password had to
    be at least 8 characters long and include one capital”

8. Joe Denise Says:

Very good site you have here but I was wanting to know if you knew of any message boards that cover the same topics discussed in this article? I’d really love to be a part of group where I can get responses from other experienced individuals that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Thank you!