Who Knew It’d Take Five Bars and One Drink?

Continuing the birthday celebration, I skipped tutorial in favor of pubcrawling with Kaitlin and friends starting at Grendel’s and ending at Ian’s. I got to listen to French, which, for me, is a kind of a treat. Teymour and friend Sara, both from Paris, both English-speakers, played the French game last night. They left at around People’s Republik, however.

I left, too. But only temporarily. Ian asked me to stay, and as I have often said, “Danny has no soul and I have no will.” And I don’t. So I stayed. And I’m glad, too.

We shuffled down Mass Ave in the non-transcendalist direction until we hit the Field. Doug was bartending, but it’s very likely he doesn’t remember that boy and girl who were sitting with that other guy and they offered to fetch him something from Taco Bell in the blizard just before, or was it just after, no, it was before Christmas. But this is all moot as we were served by a very kind waitress. It wasn’t until three bars in that Kaitlin’s home friends and her college friends started talking. By college friends, I mean that I started talking to two of her friends, but, as is almost necessarily the case, Ian and I started talking physics politics.

We put the physics aside long enough to make it to the Tavern, a bar that we universally decided against but went to anyway. They let me continue my streak of Dogfish Head which I had broken at the Field. This time I had my hand at another of the home friends, Lindsey. Her mother was from Holbrook, so she knew where I’m from. And I once got into a car accident on 53 in Norwell, so I knew where she was from. The planets must have been in perfect alignment.

The bar closed, so we called the shuttle. The shuttle carted us back to Ian’s. I had a margarita. I think Lindsey brought up the shuttle program. Gosh, maybe I brought it up. It’s a nasty habbit that I’ve taken to these past few days. Before I knew it, Ian and Lindsey and I were screaming, in a friendly, civilized manner. Naturally this degenerated into a discussion on the nature of carrier particles and gravity and electromagnetism by analogy. Or something. Someone calmed us down and I left with my new three friends back to my place.

I think they’re still here. There’s no evidence either way. I haven’t gone into their rooms and they haven’t come into mine. I woke up to six missed calls a few were from Ian but most of them are from an private number. I don’t mind their staying longer, but Kaitlin might want them back.

And the point is this: I woke up at 5p yesterday and I was up before 1p today. All it took was a few drinks to right my schedule. Beer and physics, modern marvels both.