Complaint and Answer

Art colors

My next piece is over the perception of God inspired by the Complaint and the Answer. Throughout the book I had feelings that were brought me back to what I had been taught in my several years at Catholic school. It had to do with the various uses of God and people’s opinions of him based on what they wanted to believe. God could be merciful, ravenous, damning, peaceful happy or destructive all depending on not just the religion you asked but what person in the religion you asked. In more ways than we realize, the positives and negatives of our life affect our faith and how we think of God. In many ways it is impossible to qualify what most people agree to be a supreme being. However we find ourselves doing it because to humanize something is to make it less mysterious. But at the same time it also causes what are likely to be many misinterpretations. Everyone could be wrong and everyone could be wrong, it is unfair to credit your situation singularly to a divine being. This is what I believe to be the message conveyed through the Complaint and Answer. God is not responsible for micromanaging individuals lives, most faiths believe he has a presence but also grants free will in which case your present situation is not the fault of god and he should not be blamed for any current predicaments. In trying to credit or discredit God with impacting daily events it is to turn him into something he isn’t and to disengage from what it means to be faithful. Because religion is faith based, when that faith is extrapolated into areas that are no longer faith dependent it is likely for someone to misconstrue religion and use it as a scapegoat. My picture illustrates the various colors on the specter ranging from cool to warm colors corresponding to the various opinions and feelings people express towards God.