a story of the internet

Forwarded Conversation
Subject: dance master
————————

From: SchalickJ @aol.com
To: nesson @law.harvard.edu
Date: Mon, Jun 4, 2007 at 11:17 AM

Charlie, having watched you dance since 1998,… being totally hip-switched in my old age….I really missed you at Ames because your youthful mind keeps us all on our toes one way or the other.

We all did miss you. Spoke to Ogletree and we all know dancers win.

What struck me was the universal awareness that you ‘dance’ mentally in a way we all make best efforts to follow. Wishing you well in life’s dance. In your honor….as dance master….I talked first to a BBC World pal online (Humphrey Hawksley) then to Zittrain at Oxford. Berkman deserves … a keener awareness than is inside the Beltway or WhiteHall.

Cheers, and mend well.

Judy
Judith A. Schalick, LLC
Communications Strategies
“Putting People and Ideas Together”
Email: schalickj@ aol.com

See what’s free at AOL.com.

——–
From: Charles Nesson
To: “SchalickJ @aol.com”
Date: Mon, Jun 4, 2007 at 12:03 PM

what a nice note. thanks so much.

when appropriate (in my judgment) to an open project and not sensitive (in my judgment) in terms of privacy, i may post email to my blog. all privacy requests respected.

——–

lying back again now monday after is2k7 i realize what a lovely correspondence i have to carry on. i show my class john belushi dancing on his colleagues graves in the winter snow.

Forwarded Conversation
————————

From: Williams, Jeremy
To: nesson @law.harvard.edu
Date: Wed, May 30, 2007 at 11:31 PM

Charlie,

Terribly sorry that you cannot attend the conference you worked so hard to create, but of course hope reason isn’t serious and passes quickly. All the best.

——–
From: Charles Nesson
To: “Williams, Jeremy”
Date: Sat, Jun 2, 2007 at 11:43 PM

Jeremy, I am finally out from under percocet. No doubt you’ve long since returned to L.A. I am so sorry I could not hang out with you some while you were here. I would dearly love to get your reactions to the conference and your thoughts on next steps. It’s amazing to me that I have so little idea about what actually happened.
Fond regards,
-charlie
[Quoted text hidden]

——–
From: Williams, Jeremy
To: Charles Nesson
Date: Sun, Jun 3, 2007 at 12:12 PM

A great relief to hear from you. I hope the recovery speeds along.

I found the conference very stimulating and informative; it was a high just to be a part of it. I talked a fair amount the first day, but spent the second saying very little but absorbing a lot, especially in the two working groups I attended (libraries and RIAA).

I am sorting out my thoughts about it all and hope to write something this week to send to you and to share with my studio colleagues. The key topic of that will naturally be, given my perch, what divides different constituencies and what does not regarding the copyright-related issues. My one-line summary: there was more agreement than I expected about the desirability of protecting copyright (Terry noted a decline in resistance to it, I think, amoung students, to take an important example), but the gulfs in methodology remain significant and may prove more difficult to bridge than we’d like to think. That was evident in the RIAA session, probably one of the more “lively” ones!

Of course, the issues discussed at the conference went far beyond copyright and even beyond intellectual property. In that sense the conference succeeded in heightening my awareness, and I assume that of all the participants, of the nature and profound effects of the digital context in which IP issues are being debated and, more fundamentally, in which the function of University is being examined.. I believe it succeeded in achieving your basic goals in that regard.

Your presence was felt and spoken of constantly.
[Quoted text hidden]

——–
From: Charles Nesson
To: “Williams, Jeremy”
Date: Sun, Jun 3, 2007 at 5:56 PM

Thank you Jeremy. It is wonderful to hear from you. i very much look forward to working with you.
[Quoted text hidden]

——–

hello y.s.
i am so sorry that i did not get to spend time with you while you were here. what comes below from where i do not know yet it is the conversation medium and message.

As Laurence Kirschbaum, a longtime publishing executive who recently became a literary agent, told me at the conference, “Google is now the gatekeeper. They are reaching an audience that we as publishers and authors are not reaching. It makes perfect sense to use the specificity of a search engine as a tool for selling books.”

Google thought so, too, and designed the books project accordingly. In addition to forming partnerships with libraries, the company has signed contracts with nearly every major American publisher. When one of these publishers’ books is called up in response to search queries, Google displays a portion of the total work and shows links to the publisher’s Web site and online shops like Amazon, where users can buy the book. “We are helping the publishers reach consumers that otherwise might not have known about their books and helping them market their books by giving limited but relevant previews of the books,” Jim Gerber, Google’s director of content partnerships, told me. “The Internet and search are custom made for marketing books. When there are a hundred and seventy-five thousand new books each year, you can’t market each one of those books in mass market. When someone goes into a search engine to learn more about a topic, that is a perfect time to make them aware that a given book exists. Publishers know that ‘browse leads to buy.’ ” (Google says that it does not take a cut of sales made through its books site.)

0 Responses to “a story of the internet”

Comments are currently closed.