Is This Thing On?

I think I’m turning into an old person…and I’m only 32. You know how when you were a kid your parents couldn’t figure out the complexities of the VCR? Or how in the movie “Mother” Debbie Reynolds’ character (the mother) is unable to figure out the video phone? Well, I’ve become that person.

We now have digital cable with On-Demand. This requires a cable box. Now, in an ideal world, I should simply only need to push the “Power All” button to turn on both the TV and cable box simultaneously. For whatever reason, I seem to turn only one on. When I try to turn on the other entity, it turns that on, but shuts the other off. I feel like minutes go by where turning one thing on turns the other off.

Similarly, my ineptitude with modern mechanics is causing me way too much drama with my digital camera. It took me 3 months to figure out how to make my photos smaller. I still can’t figure out the video feature of it. And today, my camera battery died. Which I don’t understand because I just replaced the batteries when I started this blog 3 weeks ago. The only photos I’ve been taking are my meals. And even those are happening much too sporadically. I’m not leaving the camera on (that I know of). Perhaps I should take the batteries out when it’s not in use? But then I’m acting like my parents…and that scares me.

Anyway, what I’m trying to get at is that the photo of my dinner tonight didn’t come out because the battery died mid-photo. But we had turkey kielbasa with broccoli and asparagus.

And since I don’t want to deprive you of my photography, I’m posting a photo of our new condo building. It’s the brick one with the green upper floors in the background (we’re on the 8th floor). For those of you unfamiliar with Boston, it’s nearing the completion of the Big Dig – the biggest inner-city highway project in U.S. history. What you see here is the location of the old elevated highway that was buried underground. They’re in the process as we speak tearing down the old highway and prepping the area to build parks and such. Unfortunately, for now that means it looks like we live in Baghdad after the U.S. popped by. But within a few months you’ll see trees, benches and grass where the debris is (though, you won’t find Matt there because he’s scared of trees and grass).

1. Comment by Karl on March 31, 2004 11:22 pm

…i miss the debris already.

2. Comment by matt on March 31, 2004 11:33 pm

That last comment was from matt – who accidentally was logged in as me when posting his comments. Karl wasn’t responding to himself. OOPS

3. Comment by thomas on April 1, 2004 1:23 pm

what a nice building, fronted by fallout and post-war debris. but i’m still jealous.