“Friends” and Family

Yawn. After an entire season of hype over the series finale of Friends – you’d think there’d be a bit more closure to the show. But as with other recent TV events (10.5, Will and Grace season finale, President Bush’s State of the Union address, for example), this one was a let down, too.

First, I must say that although Matt has alluded in previous blog comments that I watch Friends religiously, he’s wrong. I do tend to watch the syndicated re-runs on local television – but lately I have not been watching the new episodes. But I admit it – I enjoy watching the syndicated ones.

But last night’s show seem so shmaltzy. I mean, there were no big surpises, the attempts at creating emotion among the viewers was too contrived, and the ending seemed stolen from St. Elmo’s Fire.

I think I may at least watch the first episode of the “Joey” spin-off next fall just to see if Joey kept the duck and the chick. I bet he won’t.

And as today’s heading indicates…this weekend will involve family. My parents are coming up to Boston tomorrow to celebrate Mother’s Day with me and Matt. I’m meeting them at the subway station in Braintree since my mid-70’s parents aren’t to keen on driving into Boston anymore. The Big Dig has changed everything they were familiar with when my Mom used to live and work up here in the 1960’s. They get easily confused now (understandably).

I’m not fully sure of what we’re going to do. I thought I’d take them to dinner…but they are so particular with what they eat (they always get baked scrod). So, wish me luck finding a place.

After dinner, we’re going to go to my cousin’s to play poker. Hopefully I’ll win lots of money. I’m not much of a gambling man…especially since my luck has changed. My parents have all the luck. They’re the ones that won the lottery – not me. It’s probably pretty stupid of me to even gamble against them – but it’s fun…so I do it.

Speaking of gambling, perhaps I should have bet somebody that the Friends finale would have sucked? I could have made some good money!

1. Comment by thomas on May 8, 2004 10:01 am

i tried to watch the season finale of friends, but after 5 minutes i was wondering what everyone was talking about. i guess you have to sort of keep up with the show for the finale to be any good.

2. Comment by Thom on May 8, 2004 3:38 pm

I’ve never been a Friends fan – I think I watched it perhaps a dozen times over its run – so I didn’t watch the finale. (Okay, so I didn’t even realize that it was having a finale until it was over.) But I’ve heard several people react the same way that you did, that it was a disappointing ending to the series.