How Low Will They Go?

I try not to be political on here, but I have some questions I’m hoping my readers can answer. Actually, it’s more of a rant….but please induldge me.

I tend to watch the local network news versus national news progams like Dan Rather and Tom Brokaw. I’m not necessarily loyal to one network so I’ll bounce from CBS to NBC to ABC to Fox (usually searching for the hunkiest anchorman). Anyway, I’ve noticed that all of our local networks have been reporting the Nick Berg decapitation in a way that practically puts the blame on him. Instead of discussing how disgusting this murder was, they stress that Nick berg had he opportunity to leave a month or so ago but he decided to stay onboard to help. I’m hoping it’s not their intent, but all 4 networks report the story in a way that sounds like “it was his own damn fault” (versus commending him for offering to help). It’s all in the tone of the reporting.

And that’s infuriating to me. I mean, it makes me wonder if this is something the government is making them do so that people’s anger is not directed at the government for allowing this to happen. Let’s not blame us, let’s blame the victim!

This reminds me of another story about a month or so ago where the government created fake news stories about the wonders of the new Medicare package (with actors playing reporters and scripted governmentt officials praising the benefits). They actually had local news stations blend this report in with their normal news so the viewers couldn’t tell it was fake! Meanwhile, the administration that allowed this package to go through did so by lying to the other politicians about the actual cost of the program.

And here we go talking about how awful those other countries are with their government controlled media. Gee, it doesn’t appear that it’s such a foreign concept here at home, either.

Hmmm, so I guess there really wasn’t a question after all. Well, here’s one: am I the only person that noticed the reporting style of the Nick Berg murder? Is this happening on the national news (and other regional news programs), too?

1. Comment by Underling on May 14, 2004 10:29 am

My only news source is BBC world news on BBC America and the BBC news servie on NPR. I can’t abide watching american “journalists” fight for the scraps from this administration’s table.

2. Comment by Scott on May 14, 2004 12:03 pm

It seems that the news doesn’t know what to believe because Bush and Rumsfeld are spinning this story (imagine that). No one can even prove whether he was in custody of the US military or the Iraqi police. And while it first appeared that he had the chance to leave and didn’t take it, now they’re starting to report that he was detained by the military/police and missed his flight home. His father is placing a LOT of blame on the Bush administration for his son’s death. It’s all horrifying, and very, very sad.

3. Comment by thomas on May 14, 2004 1:21 pm

i noticed it too. it kind of creeps me out that the government has this much control over the media.

4. Comment by matt on May 14, 2004 6:01 pm

We are living in a facist state. There are so many things going on right under our noses and it scares the hell out of me. Scary times.

On a lighter note, David Wade — local Boston Fox Anchor Person, gets my vote for the news hottie of the moment!

5. Comment by Tom on May 17, 2004 10:29 am

The Berg story is very sad and I have noticed what you are talking about. What makes me more sad is how outraged people are over it.

We’re killing tons of Iraqis on a regular basis all because of supposed Weapons of Mass destruction.

When in reality Iraqis are being killed, and their country destroyed, so Haliburton can have rights to rebuilding Iraq, and in turn GWB and Cheney get even richer.