…And They’re Off!

In just under an hour Matt and I will be picked up by our friends, Bill and Dan, and will we’ll all head up to Portland, Maine for the weekend. Our other friend, Dave, has written a play that is having a reading up there so we decided to make a weekend out of it.

In addition to the play, we’ll explore the Old Port (cobblestone streets, centuries-old buildings, etc…), and then we’ll hopefully explore Portsmouth, NH on the way home tomorrow. I’m really looking forward to this – I’ve been dying to get away for months now.

On a side not (getting somewhat political again), I find it quite encouraging (and amusing) that the anti-gay marriage groups have been failing so much lately. After gay couples sued the state to marry and won in the State Supreme Court, the conservatives first tried to have them alter their decision (and failed). They then tried to get the justices that voted in favor of gay marriage to be kicked off the court (and failed). Then they decided to go to the FEDERAL level at District Court (and failed). Then they tried the Circuit Court (and failed). Finally, on the Friday before gay marriages were to start they brough it up to the U.S. Supreme Court! And, even to my surprise, they refused to hear the case.

Granted, the last three attempts at the federal level were not actual trials won – but all three judges/justices agreed that the State Supreme Court was within bounds to make this decision. We don’t know what their feelings are with gay marriage, though. So, in less than 48 hours, gays will obtain marriage licenses in Massachusetts. In fact, in Cambridge, City Hall is opening at 10:30 p.m. with wedding cakes and flowers for people to celebrate. Then at the stroke of midnight the first licenses will be issued!

It looks like it’s going to happen! I was so pessimistic last November when I started hearing all of the attempts to block them. But it looks like equality may have prevailed…for now (pessimism creeping in again).

But I’m only going to think happy thoughts. I’m going away this weekend, gay marriage is now legal in Massachusetts and life is good.