Gaining…and Losing…Momentum

I went to dinner with my brother, his wife and my niece last night. Like the night before, I met them at their hotel and then we walked across the street for dinner (this time Bennigan’s since we needed a family friendly place close to the hotel that can also accomodate my niece’s wheel chair…and the food was surprisingly decent).

Anyway, by the time dinner was over the sun was setting and it was slightly cooler than it had been earlier in the day.  I started walking towards the Boylston Street subway station debating whether to walk home or take the “T”. As I approached Boylston Station I decided that since the sun had set, I could just walk the whole way home. So, I happily bypassed the subway station and walked through Boston Common in the direction of our condo.

Halfway through the park I realized that I was still working up a sweat because of the humidity (just because the sun is gone, doesn’t mean the humidity is, too). I figured I’d just grab the subway at Park Street Station and go home in the climate controlled environment of a subway car. But as I approached the station headhouse I was immediately attacked by the woooosh of hot, stale subway air. And just as immediately, I turned around and decided to keep walking.

So, I continued down Tremont Street towards the Government Center Station. I figured I could board the subway there. But when I stopped at a traffic light I realized that by not moving anymore, I was no longer getting the slight breeze that my walking motion created. I started sweating even worse and just knew that if I enterred the subway station, I’d sweat even more as I stood still waiting for the train.

Once again, I walked right past the subway station, through City Hall Plaza, down the steps to Congress Street and then walked by yet another subway station (Haymarket Station) before finally accepting that I was walking the whole way home. I mean, at this point (with only one stop to go) why bother getting on the train? So, I got home and was refreshed by the blast of cold air in our lobby. AHHHHHHHHH!

Hmm – re-reading this posting I think it’s safe to say that I lead the most boring life on earth.

1. Comment by David on August 11, 2004 11:07 am

No you don’t Karl.
    It was just a slow news day.

2. Comment by Erica on August 11, 2004 11:25 am

I’ve done that a lot too. I leave work thinking I’ll catch the 77 somewhere along Mass Ave cos I’m so tired, and by the time there’s a 77 on the way I’m already practically at Porter, and it seems silly to get on a bus.

3. Comment by jeff on August 11, 2004 8:23 pm

You know, I’m glad I’m not the only one who is soaked with sweat if I have to stand for any length of time at any T stop, especially the Boylston one – I don’t know – but it just kills me standing there waiting for a train.

4. Comment by matt on August 11, 2004 10:18 pm

No, baby — it is I who leads the dullest life!

5. Comment by chrispy on August 11, 2004 11:16 pm

our subways stations are air conditioned. but!theyre also almost always a full mile apart. you wanna compare sweating in boston to sweating in a city that was literally built atop a swamp?

6. Comment by Mery on July 23, 2005 3:54 am

The text was good, but i stil cant find the play ipdates. looking for it dude.

7. Comment by Peter Jackson on July 23, 2005 10:39 pm

A heap of wheat, says the Song of Songs
    but I’ve never seen wheat in a pile 🙂
    did you like it?

8. Comment by Richard Davis on July 25, 2005 12:31 am

Nice one, but what about der weg ? anywya, congrats from me.