A (not so) Plentiful Feast

Today, let’s recall the origins of this blog. The title says it all: Adventures in Gastronomy. This was supposed to be a showcase of the boring dinners I prepare (through text and photographs). The ultimate goal was for it to embarrass me enough so that I would begin preparing more exciting meals.

Well, 6 months later I’m glad I stopped doing that because my dinner last night put all of my previous meals to shame. To my credit, I had lunch with my friend, Salina, at Fire and Ice. It’s a restaurant in Harvard Square where you get to actually pick your food items out of iced displays, place them in a bowl and then bring them to this huge round grill in the center of the restaurant where the chef prepares it with the sauce of your choice.

Through the years, I’ve mastered the art of filling the bowl to it’s maximum (the key is to put the raw meat on the bottom, then the veggies, then push it all down with the tongs before covering it all with pasta). Salina has the added technique of placing green beans around the edge in an upright position so it essentially extends the height of the bowl by a few inches – very clever!

Anyway, I had a bountiful meal of chicken, pork, turkey, broccolli, green beans, carrots and pasta. By the time evening came around, I wasn’t all that hungry. Matt went out and got himself a burritto…but what was I to do in my laziness? Ok – here goes:

For dinner, I had a Nestle’ Crunch bar and a bowl of broccolli.

How pitiful. What makes matters worse is that we live in the North End and this weekend is their biggest feast of the year: St. Anthony’s. I decided to explore it last night around 10:00 p.m. and the already narrow streets were packed with people, vendors and food. And all I had was a candy bar and broccolli. I’ve posted the pictures in Karl’s Photo Gallery (link to the right). Go to the Boston Shots album and they’re at the bottom.

1. Comment by chrispy on August 28, 2004 8:29 pm

y’all are so lazy! go out and have some fun!

2. Comment by David on August 29, 2004 6:47 pm

lazy, and sad……….
    We should have met you guys after the game.
    We sweated our b—s off at Fenway and stopped at Club Cafe for the hell of it. Didn’t know anyone so we left.

3. Comment by Salina on August 30, 2004 11:44 am

I feel so noteworthy to have made your blog Karl! 🙂