I Is Smaht

Or, at least I hope I soon will be. My classes start today (one today, another tomorrow) and will run until January. When I registered for classes last month, I never fully thought about how it will affect my newly established social life. But one class guarantees 10 hours of homework each week (and it’s nothing I can fake because they are all computer assignments I have to submit on a weekly basis). The other class has lots of reading involved. So, two nights a week will be spent in class, another 10-15 hours will be spent on homework and Matt and I have a recurring thing on Thursday nights which leaves Monday as my sole weeknight that I’m available.

And I’m sure there’s no chance in Hell that I’m going to have the energy to do anything with it. Besides, Dusty pretty much kills any chance of doing things after work because she needs to be taken out after having been cooped up all day.

The harsh reality is that this lack of social activity is pretty much how I’ve lived my entire adult life so far. But over the past few months I’ve been craving more social interaction. It will be interesting to see how this evolves.

On an unrelated note – Dusty is an idiot. She now takes a cookie, goes into the living room and starts crying in front of the sofa. I’ll pick her up and put her on the sofa where she’ll lay the cookie in a corner then nudge it into any available space between cusions). Then she’ll pull the throw with her teeth and drag it on top of the cookie. Then she’ll proceed to nudge it with her nose so that they cookie is sufficiently hidden. I’ve still not figured out who she’s hiding her cookie from. It’s not as if Matt or I have ever even attempted to eat one of her cookies. But now all of our guests are going to have to be cautious when they sit down.

1. Comment by jeff on September 21, 2004 11:13 am

You’ll just have to talk to all the other students for some social interaction…

2. Comment by Erica on September 21, 2004 12:13 pm

Or you could invite your friends to come do something low-key after work and include a dog-walking in the plan of events. 😀

3. Comment by Scott on September 21, 2004 2:14 pm

Dogs bury their food, honey. It’s called instinct. It goes back to wild dog packs, who bury their food they so they could have it later and keep it safe from other animals. Don’t you ever watch the Discovery channel?

4. Comment by matt on September 21, 2004 2:21 pm

Hey, Scott!

Yeah – I knew that dogs did that based on ancestry (my old toy fox terrier did it a lot)…but Shih Tzu’s were specifically bred by the wealthy as show dogs for Asian royalty. I can’t imagine such wussy little girlie-dogs ever having to fend for themselves in the wild.

5. Comment by David on September 21, 2004 3:47 pm

School hasn’t started yet and you are Whining.
    These classes are cheap, you are taking them because you want to. You don’t have too. So take them, do your homework, and stop your complaining. (Gee do I sound like Mrs. Coleman?)
    Oh, yes Scott is 100% right. Doesn’t matter that Shih Tzu’s were bred, its in the genes.
    Also, do you know there is a tropical storm or hurricained named Karl?

6. Comment by matt on September 21, 2004 8:19 pm

I love our Dusty and find it sooooo very cute when she insists on hiding her cookies! It just makes my day (and, as of late, it needs a lot of making!) when she runs up to me for me to pick her up and let her lick me and love on her! She is our baby! Erica has a good idea —we could invite people over and incorporate Dusty into our plans. I mean, our friends with babies do this to us! She is our baby.

I still do not understand why you go to night classes. All you do is complain about them. Not trying to be negative, but it is really true. You never seem happy when you’re taking them. ?????? IT!

7. Comment by marria on August 19, 2005 2:37 am

News on every hour. http://www.bignews.com

8. Comment by Bb T Online Banking on September 7, 2005 10:55 am

Suntrust Internet Banking

9. Comment by Time Clock on September 10, 2005 8:49 am

Body Collector

10. Comment by Nashville Hotels on January 13, 2006 6:02 am

New Orleans Hotels