“I’ve Got Something to Say” (how Jerri Blank)…about nothing.

Today’s posting is simply going to be an opportunity for me to ramble a lot about nothing. We’ll start with last night’s debate. For the first time in my entire life, I watched the entire debate (I normally get bored or frustrated and tune it out). But last night I watched the whole thing and have come to one conclusion…

I can’t wait until 2008.

I’m not all that optimistic with either of those guys ruling the “free” world. When asked questions (often with requests for specifics itemized answers) both candidates would ramble (as I’m doing now) and circumvent the answer. Kerry was asked how EXACTLY he planned to stabilize Iraq and get the U.S. troops out of there and I believe he indicated there are four things he would do. But I don’t recall hearing one single specific thing. And all I heard from Bush was the same-old, same-old (Kerry’s a flip-flopper being his answer repeatedly), along with frequent Bush-isms (mixed messages became mexed missages, nuclear became nucular, etc…).

And speaking of politics, the next item didn’t seem to make much news, but it is pretty significant. The House, yet again, voted regarding the Federal Marraige Amendment (the name was changed this time around to the Marriage Protection Amendment)…and it, once again, failed miserably. WOO HOO!

I was reading Harvard magazine and there was an article about gun ownership (which I don’t understand). Anyway, it was talking about how there are 45,000 US deaths per year as a result of car crashes and 30,000 per year as a result of gun shots. Considering that nearly all non-urban Americans own cars and drive on a daily basis and only a small percentage of Americans own guns – that’s pretty staggering. It showed a chart of the various New England states and less than 13% of Massachusetts residents own guns, compared to nearly 50% in New Hampshire and Vermont. Then it talked about suicide rates in the same states and the rates of suicide by gun in NH and VT are higher than in MA. Gee, go figure. I’m so happy that assault rifles are no longer banned – they’re so practical.

I was reading one of those “I Sold My House.com” brochures on my commute this morning and there was a house along the New Hampshire seacoast for sale for $2,999,999. On the outside, it’s the tackiest plain white pre-fabricated McMansion you could imagine. On the inside, there’s a basement indoor pool – complete with, gasp, a disco ball. !?!?!?!?!? The description explains how this is a significant disco ball because it came from the Commodore Ballroom in world-class Lowell, Massachusetts. Interior photos of the house include a very Golden Girls era living room set with a tastefully placed fire extinguisher beside the sofa. What’s up with that? But the best part of this house is that it is within a mile of the Seabrook Nuclear Power Plant. Can we live here? PLEASE!?

1. Comment by chrispy on October 1, 2004 12:19 pm

did you notice how mr kerry answered nearly every one of mr bush’s challenges, but mr bush always sidestepped mr kerrys challenges by resorting to broken-record cliches.

im sorry, but mr bush just seemed like a common hick in comparison to mr kerrys educated statesman. every current presidential candidate is truly a bit evil, but ill vote for educated statesman over podunk crackhead blowhard cowboy anyday.

2. Comment by David on October 1, 2004 3:12 pm

Karl and I repeat, you cant say this and then say that. You must stick to the issue.

3. Comment by David on October 1, 2004 3:12 pm

4. Comment by chrispy on October 1, 2004 5:38 pm

he he he

5. Comment by Underling on October 2, 2004 10:24 pm

I’m frightened by Bush. I now fear he may be mildly retarded.

The million dollar homes that are built in the upscale housing additions in Oklahoma City area are just as ridiculous Karl. Most of them have huge living area and bedrooms that are showboxes without the comfortable roominess.

6. Comment by Underling on October 2, 2004 10:24 pm

sorry…showboxes should have been shoeboxes…

7. Comment by matt on October 3, 2004 4:48 pm

I wanna live in New Hampshire! I would live anywhere to be near that disco ball, dammit!

8. Comment by Robert on October 13, 2004 11:21 pm

Jerri Blank, haha.. I just got Season 3 today. Can’t wait ’til the movie comes out!