Granola Bars from God

There are many advantages to living in a city. You get world-class museums, endless restaurants to choose from, an active theatre scene, nightlife, history, architecture, culture and more. But some of my favorite benefits are the freebies. You see it all the time: people hawking free things to people outside subway stations or tourist attractions. I’ve been the recipient of yogurt*, ice cream, t-shirts, tickets, candy – you name it. Usually this occurs when a new product is on the market and a vendor is trying to get people to try it. Other times, it’s when a company is sponsoring an event.

This morning at the Harvard Square subway station I was handed a granola bar and a little card. I couldn’t hear a word the person said since I had my Discman on, but I smiled and said “thank you.” After I had entered the gates into Harvard Yard I looked at the card. Apparently – God gave me this granola bar because it read “We hope this small gift brings some light into your day. It’s a simple way of saying that God loves you.”

Interesting. But the more I think about it, if God was going to be giving me a granola bar, shouldn’t it be made of all-natural ingredients that were created on God’s green earth? …like fruits and berries.

Nope. This was a chocolate granola bar – and don’t people often say that chocolatey things are sinful? I guess if I was to be given any granola bar – she gave me the right one.

*Speaking of yogurt, I passed a construction site this morning on my way to work and the workers were all on break and congregating by the side of the street. There were dozens of them all eating donuts, muffins, bagels and drinking coffee. But there that was this one guy eating non-fat yogurt. It was so cute – I wanted to hug him. I wonder if he gets bullied?

1. Comment by David on October 7, 2004 11:56 am

I doubt he gets bullied. His wife or girlfriend, or boyfriend, or husband , probably told him to lay off the donuts or else he’d get his ass kicked when his cholesterol count didn’t come down.

2. Comment by David on October 7, 2004 11:57 am

Oh and God did create the cocoa plant, therefore created chochalate.

3. Comment by Will on October 7, 2004 5:26 pm

Might be a brand new gay pick-up line–“hey, can I buy you a Stonyfield non-fat blueberry when you’re off work?”

4. Comment by nunya on October 8, 2004 7:47 am

apparently you have too much time on your hands to fill your mind and thouhgt processes with such trivial dool.

5. Comment by matt on October 10, 2004 12:40 pm

Wow — even construction workers are worried about their body shapes!!!!

6. Comment by Erica on October 12, 2004 12:23 pm

Those granola bars have been happening for years, on & off – they hit different t stops. It’s from some church. I am never sure whether to be grateful for the free granola or to refuse on the grounds that my religious allegiance can hardly be bought by granola.

Now it if were kugel, on the other hand…