It’s All in the Advertising

Do you recall a few years ago when there was a television commercial (I believe for automobile tires) that used adorable little babies to sell the product. In fact, in the actual commercial, the voice-over even pointed out that statistics showed that using adorable distractions can help sell a product.

This morning I was walking through North Station and the Salvation Army had it’s annual bell-ringing display at the entrance. But this year, the volunteer doing the bell ringing actually had a little mascot with him. Standing on a folding chair beside the display was an adorable little pug (dog) wearing a little red winter coat with white fake-fur around the collar. The dog looked thrilled to be surrounded by so many people and was effectively garnering the attention the Salvation Army needs.

Now THAT’s how to get people to donate money! But while they’re at it, they should try to attract an even greater demographic of people (some people are afraid of dogs). They should have a bikini clad blonde woman there, too. And perhaps a boxer-briefed and shirtless man. Hey, people could even make their donations by sliding their bills into the man and woman’s bikinis!!!!

I’m just saying….

1. Comment by David on November 24, 2004 10:48 am

My god!! You are just absolutely giddy aren’t you?
    David in Boston

2. Comment by David in Chicago on November 24, 2004 11:31 am

Now, that might actually get me to donate…distract me with a boxer clad hunk and maybe I’ll forget that the Salvation Army hates the gays…

3. Comment by Underling on November 24, 2004 11:45 am

The boxer clad hunk is a nice idea…but I think a bit impractical for the wintry season. Instead they could just set up a television monitor that shows nothing but porn.

4. Comment by jeff on November 24, 2004 11:59 am

Why something as big as a pair of Boxers? At least make them briefs…

The question is did the dog make you donate more though?

5. Comment by Erica on November 24, 2004 2:14 pm

Or they could put the hunks and babes in heated, glass enclosures…

That gets to be like that freaky thing Harrods in London did last year with the family living in the display window…