Pieces of Me

Unbenknownst to me, by trusty Eddie Bauer bookbag has crapped out on me. The zipper doesn’t appear to be gripping so as I’m out and about during my commute, the bag gradually opens up. Unfortunately, I don’t notice when it happens.  I’m not sure how many personal artifacts I’ve left throughout city – I’ve not inventoried my contents lately. But at least the bulk items (books, CD’s) remain in my possession. I’m guessing I’ve just provided people with random scaps of paper, a few pens, and perhaps a band-aid or two.

I’ve had this book bag for nearly 6 years. I really like it. It was just the right size an color. It had good sized compartments for the smaller things, and the shoulder straps were nicely padded for comfort. I suppose this new feature of exposing my contents to the world is my payback for how I got the bookbag in the first place.

I worked as an office manager in a telemarketing company back in the 90’s. One of their incentive programs for the telemarketers was to give them these gift certificates for every X number of dollars sold. Well, at the end of the selling period, employees got certificates. Good sales people would get a few thousand dollars worth…and they were good at stores like Eddie Bauer and Sharper Image.

But because the telemarketing industry has such a high turnover rate, the sales managers would have all this left-over certificates. Technically, they were supposed to be returned to the vendor. But one of the sales managers figured that would be a waste since the company had earned them. So, we divied them up among the administrative staff. I ended up geting nearly $3,000 worth. Matt and I went on shopping sprees at Sharper Image (JVC stereo, Olympus 35mm camera, JVC digital video camera) and Eddie Bauer (leather jackets, pants, shirts, and my formerly trusty bookbag).

So, I guess I shouldn’t complain…it was free and it lasted me 6 years. But it’s time to get a new one. So, if anybody out there doesn’t know what to get me for Christmas….I’ve solved your problem!

1. Comment by Underling on December 16, 2004 1:55 pm

I have this image of you, walking around random locations in Boston, trailing stuff behind you from your bag…leaving a little trail like Hansel and Gretel.

I sympathize with the loss of a great bag. Had a nice messenger bag in college that was stolen (contents dumped out…they took only the bag) while I was napping in the student union one afternoon between classes. I never did find a replacement I liked quite as much.

2. Comment by Thom on December 16, 2004 8:34 pm

Aside from the fact that I like your phrase “exposing my contents to the world” (there’s just that hint of indecency there!), what luck for you! I am a bag-addict, and the opportunity to buy a new bag because I actually need one, without feeling guilty, is great!