Sound Conditioned

That’s what the front of my new GE brand dishwasher says in my new apartment. It made me all excited…reminiscent of the Maytag machine Matt and I had in a prevoius condo. When that thing was on, you could barely tell it was on. The only thing you’d hear was the water draining out during cycles. Ah, peace.

So, imagine my surprise this morning when I turned my “sound conditioned” dishwasher on for the first time to think, albeit momentarily, that Boston’s new Silver Line* subway opening today might be running below my building instead of along the Southie Seaport District.

Seriously, this thing rattled the entire kitchen. Granted, I’ve got no art work up in the kitchen yet and the entire kitchen consists of hard surfaces. But, just like air-conditioning improves the air temperature and conditioner improves your hair, you’d think that sound conditioning would improve the level of sound.

Maybe they mis-labeled my dishwasher. Maybe it was supposed to say “sound enhanced” or “sound amplified”?

*Boston’s newest “subway” line opens today. It’s called the Silver Line and it’s the first new “subway” line since the early 1900’s (other lines have been extended since then, but no new lines created). The sad thing about this “subway” line (notice how I write “subway” in quotes?) is that it’s not really a subway. It’s a glorified bus route that goes above ground through the poorer neighborhoods of Roxbury, along designated lanes of Washington Street in the South End, then underground with connections at South Station, Courthouse and World Trade Center. Then it pops above ground and drives along with other commuting traffic into the Ted Williams Tunnel and finally to the airport. My new apartment is nowhere near this new “subway” line so it is unlikely that I’ll ever use it. But the stations sure did look nice on TV.

1. Comment by Robert on December 17, 2004 8:01 pm

‘Sound conditioned’??? Wait, does it mean the machine used to be a lot more noisier?? Yowzers!!!

Peace be with you Karl! 🙂

2. Comment by Keith on December 18, 2004 12:22 am

Haha…”subway”? Well, I think the Silver Line is a practical new idea for Boston. Brisbane (in Australia) has the same thing with the buses going underground, etc. I think that the company that did the Brisbane one consulted on the Boston project too. But I agree with you – I don’t think it’s going to take off.