Does This Website Make Me Look Fat?

As many of you know, I’ve used the internet in the past to make friends. In act, over the years, Ive made some really good friends that I hang out with regularly. Recently, I’ve made two friends this way and upon meeting me, they both said I was smaller-framed than they had though based on my profile picture (above).

Granted, I’m slouched in that pictures (actually I was squatting and leaning forward while holding Dusty in place on the grass). But I’m now questioning whether I should alter my profile picture if the consensus seems to be that I look “big boned”.

HMMM

Anyway, I started (and finished) my Christmas shopping yesterday. I went to Macy’s and searched and searched for something for my mother and eventually settled on two sweaters (sssshhhhh! Don’t tell her…fortunately, she’s not internet savvy enough to find this site herself). While I was there I picked up two shirts for myself (Merry Christmas to me). I intended to buy myself some new underwear (I’m sure you care), but ran out of time before meeting my friend, Vito. I did see some at H&M that I liked…I may go back.

As for the rest of my shopping, my Dad wants some lighthouse figurines that you can only get on Cape Cod so I’ll let him pick those out himself when I go down there later this week. My brother and I agreed not to exchange gifts this year, and I’m still waiting for Matt’s gifts to arrive in the mail.

I guess I’m just not in the spirit this year. Maybe it’s because everybody thinks I’m fat?

1. Comment by Erica on December 20, 2004 12:21 pm

I am not the best judge because I see you so much more in person than online. So to me your picture looks like you, but I doubt I really *see* the picture – I see the Karl in my head more clearly. But um, you’re not fat? In general, pictorially and otherwise.

2. Comment by chrispy on December 20, 2004 12:23 pm

maybe you ought to get a pic in a slim outfit?

truth in advertising….maybe youll get more hits if people see that youre really svelte.

go on with yo skinny self!

3. Comment by jeff on December 20, 2004 12:36 pm

Use a picture where you’re not leaning forward – it doesn’t give the shirt a chance to bunch up at all and you get more of a profile in the shot.

Gosh – I thought all that studying of photography would come in handy eventually!

4. Comment by karyn on December 20, 2004 2:02 pm

Karl, you monumental head case, you look buff and hunky and FINE and you have absolutely zero business asking if you a) look, b) are, c) might possibly be perceived as, FAT.

Maybe if you stand sideways, turn your head to the side and hold your breath you’ll be invisible; is that what you’re aiming for?

Under other circumstances we’ll not see in this lifetime, there’d be a line of women lining up to meet you. I don’t know the male perspective but ‘yo skinny self’ is looking pretty good to several members of the XX chromosome population.

Now for crissake go eat something. Chocolate. Or bacon. A twinkie maybe.

Jesus.

5. Comment by David on December 20, 2004 2:22 pm

Matt——
    Jeez, Karl!!!
    Fat Hardly!! Take hints from the above people.
    I like Karyn. Go eat a box of Twinkies.
    Oh, I’ve got some thickening shampoo to give you when you come down. Mom had given me a huge bottle from the salon. Obviously I don’t need it anymore. Anyway, I thought it might help that bald spot………
    hahahahahahahahahahaha!

6. Comment by John on December 20, 2004 2:37 pm

Hello Karen Carpenter. If someone thinks you look fat in that picture, you should run from them at top speed. Unless you’re hoping to develop an eating disorder.

Then again, I’m used to Texas people. When you move to Texas you immediately feel thinner because you are (compared to everyone around you).

It’s a nice picture!

7. Comment by Underling on December 20, 2004 3:02 pm

It is a very nice picture, and I don’t think it makes you look fat.

But how tall are you? I think the picture might make me think you’re shorter than you actually are…

8. Comment by Michael C. on December 20, 2004 5:55 pm

The people who think that picture makes you look fat are clearly demented. End of subject.

9. Comment by Robert on December 21, 2004 12:32 am

I think that picture is 100% fat-free!

10. Comment by jason on December 21, 2004 7:27 am

you look perfectly proportioned to me in this shot. jeff may be right about the shirt bunching up, but otherwise you look fine. and i do mean FINE!

11. Comment by David in Chicago on December 21, 2004 10:42 am

No wonder you were so sensitive about the fidgeting question. Maybe the universe IS trying to get a message through. Several hundred calories a day, remember, gone in a blink of an eye, a tap of a foot, a squirm in your seat.

12. Comment by Scott on December 21, 2004 2:00 pm

Personally, I think that photo makes you look very, very kissable.

13. Comment by Peter Pehrson on December 21, 2004 3:07 pm

Fat? Nope! Hot? Yup!!! Woof!!! Damn.

Yr friend in gastronomy,
    Peter

14. Comment by matt on December 21, 2004 5:52 pm

I like that picture. You are so not fat. Now, I on the other hand…

I am, as The Breakfast Club would say, am pushing maximum density.