Popular Exhaustion

I’m not sure when I turned into an old man. In fact, I think I was born one. But I would guess that it was in my twenties when I accepted it. Despite other people’s attempts at making me social or nocturnal, I still prefer a quiet evening at home.

This past week has been a very social one for me. On Sunday, I met up with Ben and Brad (friends from work) to go clean out Regina’s condo (the friend who died from breast cancer earlier this month). On Monday, a friend from Arizona arrived in Boston for a visit. Even though he was staying at the Bulfinch Hotel (as I blogged about before), we still hung out and chatted until nearly 11:00 p.m. (which is late for me on a school night).

Tuesday night we met up after work and I gave him a walking tour of the North End before having dinner and, once again, talked until well past my bedtime. Fortunately, I took Wednesday off so that we could play tourist together during the day. We ended up going from the North End, to Beacon Hill, the Public Garden, Back Bay and the South End. That’s where we stopped for lunch at Garden of Eden.

Last night, Rich joined us for dinner in Beacon Hill. But after 3 consecutive nights of being “on”, I was beat after dinner. Fortunately, Rich and Lee really clicked and managed to keep the conversation flowing smoothly throughout (and after) dinner. Rich and I dropped Lee off at his hotel around 9:30 p.m. and then returned to my apartment.

Then, this morning, I woke up to find I have a sore throat (minor…but still there). This brings me back to being an old man: three nights of eating out and conversation should not exhaust me to this point. So all day today I’m going to be fantasizing about lying on my sofa with all the requisite items nearby (remote control, sparkling water, pizzelle’s, and magazines). Just for the symbolism of it all, I feel tempted to add a water-filled glass with some Efferdent in it.

1. Comment by David on March 17, 2005 12:09 pm

Hmm.
    Old Man!
    Ha!
    Maybe eat better, exercise, try to get more sleep.
    Or maybe you are exhausted from all the emotional strain of the last 4 months.
    Get Rich, snuggle up. Take a nap. You’ll be fine.
    🙂

2. Comment by karyn on March 17, 2005 4:37 pm

Ah… *I’M* not the one who works at Harvard, hem hem, but being out past bedtime does not give you a sore throat. Viruses to which you have not built up an immunity give you sore throats, and you could have been exposed to a fast-incubating, fast-acting one by visiting so many out of towners. Or , option B, ALLERGIES give you sore throats. Allergies develop and or get worse with age (sorry) and tis the season. Crocuses, dust, etc..

And if Options A & B fail here, might I suggest the stress of an ailing child in the family, the loss of a dear friend, et al., might be more likely culprits as to a fatigued immune system than a few nights out and late dinners.

I’m just saying. Relax, man. We’re young. (Me more so than you, but still. Hahahahaha.)

3. Comment by chrispy on March 17, 2005 6:49 pm

who else have you been kissing? mayb their germs are giving you a sore throat?

4. Comment by David on March 18, 2005 3:30 pm

Hey Karl, can we meet Karyn. I like her explinations!!

5. Comment by Karl on March 21, 2005 2:01 pm

love ya’, karyn!

6. Comment by karyn on March 21, 2005 4:40 pm

Love you too. Smooch.

(Thank you David. My one remaining strand of pragmatism thanks you. Wink wink.)

7. Comment by Milen on September 1, 2005 10:13 pm

Very nice

8. Comment by Aviation Video on September 15, 2005 1:27 pm

Aviation History

9. Comment by Montreal Hotels on January 12, 2006 5:44 am

Los Angeles Hotels