In Provincetown: How Many Licks Does It Take To Get To The Center Of A Tootsie Pop?

Now, now, people. Keep your minds out of the gutter. I’m a good boy.

But my blog title today should read more like: how many hours does it take to get into a relaxed state of mind in Provincetown (it just didn’t provide the same sexual innuendo). Anyway, my answer to that question is 4 hours.

On Friday, Mark and I left work early and headed down to the Cape. We crashed at my parents place on Friday night (where Mark took over the barbecue and fed me and my parents) and then played rummy. Mark was kicking all over our asses until the very end. Within just 4 hands he went from first place to a very, very low last place. I came in first place, which made up from Jason humiliating me last week.

On Saturday morning, Mark and I drove the rest of the way up the Cape to Provincetown. We immediately went to the beach (before checking into the guesthouse) and stayed there for 3 hours or so. Mark had never been to Ptown in the summer, nor to their gay beach, so he was ill-prepared for the sandy hike past the families, then the lesbians with kids, then the lesbians, and finally the gay section. I suppose I should have warned him.

Anyway, that evening we had a yummy dinner at Finuzzi (spelling?) in the East End before taking in the latest Miss Richfield 1981 show:

I just love her. When I go back in two weeks I plan on seeing the lastest Varla Jean Merman show. But I’m thinking that Mis Richfield may be my new favorite in Ptown (sorry Varla). I mean, how can you not love a woMAN on stage who dresses a lesbian audience member as a Muslim woman, simulates a briss, then plays music with a saw (yep, the actual tool) between her legs?

After Miss Richfield, we went to the Wave bar and listened (and watched videos for) some great 80’s music: B52’s, Go-Go’s, New Order, George Michael. We stayed until closing (a rarity for me) before partaking in the normal nocturnal activity of people watching.

On Sunday we followed the same pattern: beach, shopping, eating, and then went to see the gay stand-up comic, Eddie Safarty (spelling?).

I had limited celebrity sightings this year. Just John Waters a few times and Paula Poundstone once. I just found out that Deborah Messing (Will and Grace) owns a place out there and is frequently seen around town…but I didn’t see her. Damn her.

But I was feeling relaxed within 4 hours of my arrival. It’s funny, I’d never been a beach person despite being raised down there. But now that I’m an adult, that’s my favorite part of the trip. An umbrella, an iPod, a towel, and some fruit to snack on am I’m in heaven. Of course, the eye candy doesn’t hurt. Actually, who am I kidding…that’s probably my favorite part.

I do regret that I wasn’t able to go for a full week this year. Fortunately, I’m heading down there again a week from Friday for another long weekend (this time with Rich). And I’ve already been down there two or three times so far this summer for day trips. Still, I find that 7 consecutive days really brings me down a few notches and puts me in that calm place I so rarely find myself (yet so often desire).

1. Comment by JC on July 26, 2005 11:56 am

Glad to see you’re back! I didn’t know John Waters lived in PTown. And the next time you go, please hunt down Debra Messing like caribou and get me an autograph!

2. Comment by karyn on July 26, 2005 3:03 pm

There’s loads of celebs down here, you know that. I love PTown and look forward to the day when I can safely leave the children here and head on up. It’s like… leave Boston and head south… feel the knot begin to dissolve. Hit south shore, and feel heart rate turn to normal. Hit bridges, start breathing in a relaxed manner. Hit Orleans Rotary, and you start having to pinch yourself to stay awake. I love it here.

3. Comment by karyn on July 26, 2005 3:03 pm

And PS: that stage show with the saw sounds terrifying! Yikes!

4. Comment by Brad on July 26, 2005 5:51 pm

I’m actually scared that you say you’re a “good boy”! What’s up with that? 🙂
    Glad that the entertainment and the beach was fun. You’ve made me jealous. I was spending time with my family which wasn’t half the fun.

5. Comment by Karl on July 27, 2005 12:16 am

hey, Karyn…what are the chances of you being able to take a night off from parenthood and coming up to Ptown one of the nights I’m there (two weeks from now)? We could go to the show together? Thoughts?

6. Comment by matt on July 27, 2005 1:13 am

No place like PTown. I miss Miss Richfield 1981 and feel that she could make me a better me, but Varla Jean would most likely me win me over with that can-o-cheezzzze. where are pix????

7. Comment by David on July 27, 2005 12:56 pm

I miss Miss Richfield 1981 too.
    I just got to July and my autographed month where she wishes me a happy birthday.
    Did you see Johnny Hazzard again?