Hospitals and Big Brothers

I visited my sister-in-law (Heidi) at Mass General again yesterday and all of the tests came back revealing that her lower intestines are functioning (yay). However, her esophogus and stomach are a bit quirky so they’re going to install the G and J tubes for feeding with the hopes that she can eat at least some solids. This is a less severe solution than putting her on TPN (the all liquid diet through IV).

So – I plan on visiting her again this afternoon. My brother should also be there at that time because he’s bringing my niece from Franciscan Hospital to Mass General for some tests of her own (I suppose if Mom and daughter have to be in a hospital at the same time, at least they’re in the same one for a while).

I also found out (actually realized a bit slowly) that my niece works as a registered nurse at Mass General. More specifically, she works for the Philips House section (the hotel/penthouse celebrity two three floors) at Mass General. She was there yesterday and asked for me – but her shift had ended before I got there. I’m hoping to see her this afternoon as I’ve not seen her in nearly a decade.

HMMM – I guess there just might be a silver-lining to all of this.

On a side note – is anybody else out there addicted to Big Brother 6? If so, did you catch the pants Julie Chen was wearing last night? They were off-white and baggy all-over but with 3″ (+/-) elasticized cuffs around the ankles. It was the 1980’s all over again. Hammer-time.

Oh, Julie – just say no.

1. Comment by Doug on July 29, 2005 12:04 pm

I will be brave and admit…I am addicted to Big Brother 6! I have never watched the show before and in my need for a reality television fix, I decided to tune in the first night….now I am obsessed. I was THRILLED that “Cappy the Macho Pig” was ousted last night.

As for Julie’s outfit…I zip right thru her segments on the show…she has a lazy eye that annoys the HELL out of me.

2. Comment by JC on July 29, 2005 12:48 pm

Oh lord, ankle cuffs. I weep for her.

3. Comment by karyn on July 30, 2005 6:32 pm

Um… your niece is three… and gravely ill… who exactly is it working as an RN in Phillips House?

Ugh, elasticized ankle cuffs. This cannot be good.

4. Comment by Karl on July 30, 2005 7:00 pm

OH OH. Karyn…you picked up on a boo boo on my part. It’s my COUSING working at the hospital (on the same floor as my sister in law).

OOPS – I’ve been so caught up in writing/discussing my niece that I guess I threw her title out there. OOPS!~

5. Comment by karyn on August 1, 2005 8:00 pm

Your cousing, eh? How’s your class rank these days, Karl? Harvard, isn’t it, where you attend classes? Hm. *snert*