Over-Medicated

I hate taking medication. It’s not that I can’t swallow pills (I can). It’s not that I don’t like relief (I do). But I get lazy when I don’t feel well and don’t feel like trekking to the kitchen cabinet to grab medicine. Plus, I tend not to like putting chemicals in my body like that – even cold medicines.

But this damn cold/respiratory infection thing has been killing me for 12 days now. I went to the doctor yesterday and I don’t have a fever so she wouldn’t give me antibiotics. She did refer me to some new over-the-counter stuff that was formerly prescription only. The clerk at CVS actually asked to see my ID before letting my buy it. Anyway, I’m taking that but not really feeling any improvement. I mean, I guess it relieves the sensation that my sinus congestion is going to cause my eyes to burst out of my head, but once the medication wears off, the pain re-emerges.

And that’s the problem. Whatever I have doesn’t seem to be going away. I can supress the discomfort for periods of time, but it’s not getting cured, it’s just being “treated”.

I probably got some weird untreatable Mad Cow Avian Hoof and Mouth West Nile Lyme Equine Ebola Disease while in Paris.

1. Comment by JC on October 18, 2005 10:49 am

You didn’t get some incurable disease. Colds take a long time to go away, and plus the weather lately has not been conducive to good health. It’ll go away…just load up on zinc and vitamin C in the meantime and try to not let it get you down. Trust me, I know whereof I speak on the subject of untreatable ailments…

2. Comment by karyn on October 18, 2005 12:42 pm

One might add that if one had not been so stubborn in the first place and had started taking medicine before sinus bug was firmly ensconced, sinus bug may have been eradicated by now…hem hem… JC is right, the weather’s major suckification has played a big role in our sinus problems down here… in future, Zicam is holistic technically and it really DOES help shorten the duration and severity of colds…they get my business now.

You don’t have mad cow hoof mouth avian…wtf? I can’t even remember the tangent there… lol… get some soup and some sleep and maybe those dissolving tabs for the shower? You put them on the shower floor and stand in the steam and the eucalyptus oil and stuff help clear you a bit… tea…

Oh and the meds w/ the ID – you need an ID to buy regular old Sudafed now! And they keep it behind the counter because some deviant miscreant freakshow decided they would buy vast quantities of sudafed and use the pseudoephedrine in it to make crystal meth.

Ah well. Feel better Snarling!

3. Comment by karyn on October 18, 2005 12:49 pm

Ah well. Feel better Snarling!

4. Comment by Brad on October 18, 2005 12:59 pm

I didn’t know about those shower tabs — thanks Karyn! Karl — get lots of rest and get better!

5. Comment by Scott on October 18, 2005 2:06 pm

Sorry you’re sick, but I thought you should know that I got distracted with your writing due to the proximity of the words “swallow” and “relief.” Mmm hmm.

6. Comment by Dave in Chicago (2) on October 18, 2005 2:33 pm

But hey, you got free champagne, non? Just teasing, follow Ms. Karyn’s suggestions & you’ll feel better soonly. And rest, dammit! 😉

7. Comment by keith on October 18, 2005 3:41 pm

I love that you got ID’ed for it. Because I’m sure you totally looked like you’re workin’ a meth lab at home.

8. Comment by David on October 18, 2005 3:55 pm

Umm, Karl, how about emailing someone who is paid to know about such things.
    First off. You can only take so much Vitamin C and Zinc. Vitamin C is a water soluble vitamin so your body is only going to use what it needs.
    The rest will turn your pee yellow and send it down the sewers in the north end. There have been recent studies that zinc may help with symptoms at the beginning of the cold but once you have something full blow forget it.
    The shower tabs, from Vicks. While good in theory, they are only as good as you are taking a shower and inhaling the fumes. Once you dry off and go about your day, the congestion will come back. You are better off slapping so Vicks Vapor Rub Cream on your chest, put on a t shirt and go to bed. Plus the tablets and those new Vicks Plug in things are pricy.
    The part about pseudophedrine and crystal meth is true. Now there are products with phenylephrine which is an older decongestant then pseudophedrine available otc. Can’t make crystal meth with it. Alot of people don’t think it works as well.
    So for a cold…..
    If your phlegm is clear, to yellow when you blow your nose …
    if stuffy use pseudophedrine
    could also try an anthistamine like loratadine(claritin), won’t make you drowsy and will dry up runny nose, post nasal drip etc.
    For coughs,
    if your chest is congested– use guifenasin, and to quiet a cough use dextromethorphan.
    I love this new product called Mucinex-Dm.
    Comes in a easy to swallow tablet form.
    I’m not a fan of Robitussin.
    Watch out for things with otc antihistamines, or using multiple meds with multiple ingredients. You can over do it.
    Do not take more then 4000mg of acetaminophen (Tylenol) or 3600mg of ibuprofen per day.
    Drink plenty of fluids.
    Thank you.

9. Comment by Karl on October 18, 2005 4:02 pm

Thanks, David! Actally, Mucinex-DM is exactly what my doctor told me to use (and what got me carded at the pharmacy). My big problem is the sinus/congestion in my head versus the cough. So, I didn’t notice any real benefit from that.

Sudafed seems to be helping with that part, at least.

I just wanna’ be healthy again. sigh

10. Comment by matt on October 19, 2005 12:37 am

…I would have refused to leave till the doctor gave me an anti-biotic. Of course, you know that. LOL! Persistence pays off! Of course, this is why doctors love me!

11. Comment by Will on October 19, 2005 10:25 am

This sounds suspiciously like a really nasty plane virus I picked up on an Opympic airlines flight from Athens to Boston several years ago. It hung around for just over a week and had me bed-ridden for about three days. I had just met Fritz and he came down from New Hampshire for a day with trusted family remedies and his calm, strong presence (and beautiful blue eyes) to look after me. I think that’s when I knew.