Why Do I Do This To Myself?

Normally I lock myself in my home on Halloween night and avoid the scary people outside. This time, I invited one of them in: Jason.

Well, Jason’s not scary, but he is people.

Anyway, we decided earlier in the day to go at it with another game of Rummy. I think this is our fifth time playing, and it was his fourth time winning.

I’m a sore loser. I want to win. As I started losing my slight lead in the middle of the game, words were coming out of my mouth that would simply have put my mother to shame. She would be disgusted to have me as her son. Of course, I learned a few of those words from her, but there were others that she most definitely never uttered in her life.

Long story short, he won by about 100+ points (we played to 1,000).

Yet, I’m already craving another game night. Why? Am I a masochist?

Don’t answer that.

Anyway, aside from losing, we did have a lovely time chatting, eating the Halloween candy that no children came for*, and watching VH-1 Classics and, gasp, Moulin Rouge on LoGo. I guess I still kinda’ like Jason.

*In my adult life I’ve not once had a trick-or-treater come to my door. I guess it’s just not a city thing to do (understandably). So, I always buy my “just in case” candy so I don’t get egged. Of course, the candy I buy is always something I’d enjoy the day after Halloween because I know I’ll never distribute any to those children things.

1. Comment by Brad on November 1, 2005 11:15 am

With you screaming profane words like that and assuming that the little children heard you through the closed windows, it’s no wonder the little tykes didn’t want to come to your door. Poor little ghosts and goblins! Now they are hungry because you scared them all away and they got no candy.

2. Comment by JC on November 1, 2005 11:32 am

Yeah, watch your language! Next time I’m gonna have to wash your mouth out. Because you know I’ll win again.

3. Comment by Carolyn on November 1, 2005 3:26 pm

Now that I know about this little problem of yours I’ll be sure to bring my trib to trick-or-treat at Uncle Karl’s …I’m sure you would have enjoyed seeing X-man in his “Ninja Turtle” costume Lilly as a “Fairy Princess” and Gabb-a-monster in her Roman Princess garb. I’m sure you could relate to each one of these depictions at one time in your life or another. CP

4. Comment by karyn on November 1, 2005 11:25 pm

Those..children..thingys.. I am beyond appalled.