My Status as Over-Achiever

I am proud to admit that I am an over-achiever. I always have been. Though, the more I reflect on that, I realize that it’s because I don’t set very lofty goals for myself.

My most recent pride-inducing accomplishment is that I shaved. It has been 9 or 10 days since I had shaved and my face was looking pretty scruffy. I blogged about it yesterday (and how I dressed up to disguise my facial sloppiness).

I had intended to shave on Sunday…but didn’t feel like it.

I had intended to shave on Monday…but got distracted by a fun on-line chat session.

I had intended to shave last night when I got home from work…but got wrapped up in email and bad TV. Finally, at 10:PM, I did it. I pushed all other “priorities” aside and achieved my goal after 3 days of procrastination. Mission accomplished. Gratification achieved.

Matt (my ex from a 10 year relationship, for you newer readers) used to always tell me that I could have a better job and could make much more money. But with my low self-esteem (and a bit of laziness) I never sought out the higher paying (and, not coincidentally, higher stress) jobs. If I took “easier” jobs, I’d be less likely to fail. Hence, I over-achieved at the ones I took.

Helps the little ole’ ego.

Doesn’t quite help the wallet, I suppose.

Anyway, I’ve got a new goal to achieve: cleaning my home. Don’t judge, but I haven’t really done much in that area since returning from Paris nearly a month ago. I had originally intended to start cleaning on Sunday…

1. Comment by karyn on November 9, 2005 10:42 am

This explains a great deal. Well.. you’ve got the stress issues and physiological issues which can be exacerbated by stress and never the two should meet, I agree with that. Still… I don’t think shaving qualifies under your Overachiever mantle… don’t engrave it on the plaque yet… unless you did it with a cinnamon stick you whittled to razor sharp perfection via the magic of Martha or something, and did it using real whipped cream instead of shave gel , using a pool of spring water instead of a mirror to gauge your reflection. Hem hem. Sometimes you are too easy a target, lovey. xo

2. Comment by Karl on November 9, 2005 10:46 am

See, Karyn. I was reading what you’d written and thought it sounded rather nice and fun (cinnamon, whipped cream). If that was involved with shaving, I’d likely do it more often.

Then at the end I realize you’re making fun of me. But by that point, I was too distracted by your shaving confections to be upset.

3. Comment by karyn on November 9, 2005 10:54 am

Well it did occur to me that you would take the cinnamon & whipped cream thing to a whoooole other place… you could TRY using it to shave, if that is an incentive for you… always nice to work confections into our lives when we can…especially if it gives us another Overachiever Badge for the little Cub Scout Program of life…. *snert*

4. Comment by Lise on November 9, 2005 11:05 am

Oh pooh, you should continued your Grizzly Adams looks, especially since you like “bears”. It’s always fun to procrastinate, so you can feel that much better when you actually DO the thing.

5. Comment by J.P. on November 9, 2005 3:05 pm

Some of us like your scruffy look. 🙂

6. Comment by David on November 9, 2005 3:19 pm

At least you get up and leave the house everyday Karl.
    It’s those small steps…