Adorkable

So, being a public school principal, Mike (the person I’ve gone on dates* with lately) does this word-of-the-day thing for his students. Today’s word was going to be focus. But while he was fiddling away on his laptop, this other pseudo-word came up:

adorkable**

Apparently, and rather obviously, this means that a person has the characteristics of being a dork, while simultaneously coming off as adorable.

Then he said I was adorkable.

I’m not sure what I think about that. I mean, I’ve always liked the whole geek/chic look (hence my nerd glasses). But I’ve always found it an appealing quality in OTHER people…not necessarily in myself. Still, I’ve been called worse things.

*Do people still date? What exactly constitutes a date? In my mind, I see an old black-and-white 1950’s scene with a guy taking somebody to dinner and a movie, then walking the date to the front door, administering a quick kiss good night on the front steps, then returning home with a big smile. Does that happen nowadays? Did it ever happen? Or were those sitcoms just showing the wholesome portions of the date…and what wasn’t displayed on screen consisted of anal beads and crisco?

**Don’t go running to Webster’s for this one. Like fugly (which I’m glad didn’t come up on his computer as he might have called me that instead), this is one of those new-fangled words created by the young whipper-snappers of today.

1. Comment by Karl on November 16, 2005 10:51 am

OK – before any of you come to any conclusions, let me state here that anal beads and Crisco were NOT incorporated into any of our dates.

…yet

2. Comment by Doug on November 16, 2005 11:24 am

Yeah…right….LMAO….good attempt to cover Karl….

3. Comment by Lise on November 16, 2005 11:30 am

First of all, thank god! Otherwise I would have unpleasant images now while cooking. Secondly, I think it’s sweet you were called adorkable. Thirdly, here’s my word of the day: usufruct (yoo’ zoo fruckt). “Enjoying all the advantages derivable from the use of something which belongs to another.” Added advantage is when you sling it at someone (you damn usufructer)it sounds like you’re hurling an epithet at them.

4. Comment by karyn on November 16, 2005 11:50 am

Hem hem… me think he doth protest too late.

Fugly would’ve been worse, that’s for damn certain, but I’d not embrace Adorkable either! I’d come up with a word of my own if I were you…

And he should be careful with focus. I’ve heard that used pretty rogueishly.

Yes those dates did happen. My first date with my to-be-husband involved the picking up, the dinner, the chatting, the dropping at the door – not a kiss even! They were widely broadcast via the media mostly ( I think ) to portray to young people how they were expected to behave on a date. Yeah. I’m so sure that worked.

5. Comment by Sean on November 16, 2005 1:51 pm

When I was single, I used to say that I hated dating. It turned out that I only hated dating the wrong people. When my partner and I started dating four years ago, I used to look forward to the sappy things like the goodnight kiss, the cards and little presents. Dating was a way for us to get to know each other on a more intimate level than just having sex could. Also, it signified that our relationship was special, since dating requires a bit of a commitment, but it’s not as if felt the need to get engaged in six months or anything. We still set aside “date nights”, nights that belong just to us to go have dinner out or to relax at home. It sounds like Mike is a great guy. If you’re enjoying your time with him, don’t question it, just consider yourself lucky and keep seeing him. At least, that’s my two cents.

6. Comment by Will on November 16, 2005 2:52 pm

Yes, dates used to be like that, parents peeking through the curtains to make sure “nothing” happened and everything. No, you may not ask me how I know.

I wrote Mark of Zeitzeuge a while ago when he referred to Brian as the guy he was “dating.” I pointed out that they’d been living together for a year, were totally committed and having sex as often as possible. He agreed that enormous social changes had pretty much blown the traditional concept of dating right out of the water.

7. Comment by Mike on November 16, 2005 8:11 pm

yeah, adokable. and this mike guy sounds great!

8. Comment by atari_age on November 16, 2005 10:12 pm

Adorkable, huh? OK, if you guys have a real cool vibe, then that actually can sound cute. I don’t know if it’d make me hot for him, but that probably wasn’t the point. Also depends how secure you are being a dork 😉

9. Comment by David on November 17, 2005 11:13 am

Sorry Karl the Adorkable fits.
    Now who’s this Mike guy?