Patchouli and Bubble Yum

MMMMMMMM! What a pleasant surprise last night. After therapy, I hopped on the subway at Central Square and a rather zaftig young woman sat to my right smelling of patchouli. At the next stop, an older (late 50’s) woman sat down chewing what smelled like Bubble Yum bubble gum (it was a shocking scent to be coming from a mature woman).

The combination of those two smells sent my olfactory system into overload. What a beautiful combination…seriously! I was euphoric. I was feeling this bizarre sense of deja vu and relaxation…some sort of contact high that put me in a place I needed to be at that moment.

I was rather saddened when we reached Park Street and I had to get off the train. But this is certainly a mix of scents that I want to experience again. Perhaps I should explore that fragrance place on Newbury Street where you can customize your own personal scent? Though, I’m not sure how popular I’d be if I walked around smelling like a pre-pubescent lesbian. But who cares. I liked it.

1. Comment by JC on November 18, 2005 10:33 am

Did you ever see “High Fidelity”? My favorite quote from it: “Get your patchouli stink OUTTA MY STORE!” I don’t think I even know what patchouli smells like, but now I associate it with hippie schmucks like the guy from that movie…

2. Comment by Lise on November 18, 2005 10:49 am

Ooh, that sounds like a lovely interlude. Patchouli — too many bad associations! Sniff a box of crayola crayons sometime … memories …

3. Comment by David on November 18, 2005 11:15 am

Well you could always get incense for the apt.
    Course the Bubble gum aroma might be hard to find. There has got to be a scented candle out there somewhere…….

4. Comment by Will on November 18, 2005 1:12 pm

Patchouli and Bubble Gum–man you would have LOVED the 60s! Next thing we know, you’ll be into aroma therapy–I’m virtually positive you can get that combination going with their various scented oils.

5. Comment by Lise on November 18, 2005 2:43 pm

They DO make bubble-gum scented candles!

6. Comment by karyn on November 18, 2005 4:28 pm

You could invest in some Jessica Simpson bathcrap that smells like bubble gum and wear patchouli on top of that… Walking around smelling like a prepubescent lesbian… hm. Apparently, it wouldn’t be the first time.

7. Comment by Doug on November 18, 2005 9:27 pm

I personally cannot stand the smell of patchouli. It causes flashbacks of my born again Christian college roommate and his group of Bible thumpers. Its such a nasty smell…

8. Comment by atari_age on November 19, 2005 11:12 am

I’m glad you’ve found a scent combination that suits you. Though, I can’t say that scent mix does much for me. To each his own, of course. =)

9. Comment by Brad on November 21, 2005 11:32 am

Patchouli? You know, I don’t even know what the smell is that you’re talking about. Never heard of it before (although it sounds like I probably do know what it is without knowing it). Still, after all the comments above, I’m not sure that I want to know what it is if it brings back memories of “Christian College roommates”. Ugh!