Has The Whole World Lost Its Head?

I got off the train at Porter Square this morning and “Has the Whole World Lost Its Head?” by the Go-Go’s started playing on my iPod. It seemed rather fitting as I approached the following:

I looked up to see the ubiquitious A&F billboard displaying a topless man exposing a lovely nipple that, at that scale, would be about the size of my entire torso.

Below the billboard (at street level) is a “Please Do Not Feed the Pigeons” sign. A (presumably liberal) person wrote under the sign “THIS IS HATE.” Ah – life in the People’s Republic of Cambridge.

Further down the street I walked by a Christmas Tree stand in front of a church. Profits of the sales are going to a pre-school scholarship fund…SCHOLARSHIPS..FOR PRE-SCHOOL!

A bit further down the street I walk by Judy Jetson hair salon. This is one of those trendy/hip/artsy places from what I can gather by the design, the employees and the customers. But in their windows they have an illuminated nativity scene. You know those big, hollow plastic reindeer you’ve seen for years on front lawns around the holidays that are lit from the inside (and prominently kicked about in the movie, Christmas Vacation)? Well, this nativity scene is comprised of such plastic pieces – but in the shapes of those religious figures (I don’t know their names…Noah, Abe, God?). I can’t tell if they’re poking fun at the tackiness of it all…or whether they serious about the whole thing. I’m perplexed.

Then, to top it all off, I get into work only to find this attachment in an email from Karyn (Vexed in the City):

It saddened me. She emailed back saying that it’s a rubber egg. I think she’s lying.

1. Comment by Dave in Chicago (2) on December 2, 2005 10:58 am

That’s the funniest damn thing I’ve seen all week. Forwarding to Mom immediately. (Seriously! We’re all whack-jobs, as you know…) ;-p

2. Comment by Brad on December 2, 2005 11:03 am

Well, just by chance I do know the story of the nativity and I have a feeling the figures in JJ’s window are Mary, Joseph, Jesus, maybe some shepherds, maybe some “wise men” (supposedly named Caspar, Melchior and Balthasar), and maybe an angel (usually Gabriel). That said, being Cambridge, I wouldn’t be surprised if the kid was from a gay marriage and we had Mario, Joseph, and baby Bruce.

3. Comment by Will on December 2, 2005 11:09 am

That wonderfully funny picture–THANK YOU for giving me my first laugh of the day–reminds me of my favorite Far side cartoon. a Rooster is sick in bed and his wife the hen is derving him a bowl of that ancient remedy–chicken soup. he’s obviously objected because she’s saying: “first of all, it’s good for you; and second of all, it’s nobody we know.”

4. Comment by Mark on December 2, 2005 12:15 pm

Heh, this posting brightened my day. Thanks, pookie!

5. Comment by JC on December 2, 2005 2:21 pm

LOL, that picture is great. Yeah, Go-Go’s!

6. Comment by atari_age on December 3, 2005 10:48 am

I hope it didn’t really sadden you 🙁 Cause it’s a funny picture! The sond might have put you in a weird mood, though.

7. Comment by eeka on December 3, 2005 11:56 am

Does it confuse you that there are arty Christians? I can find you plenty of them if you want to meet more!

8. Comment by eeka on December 3, 2005 11:56 am

Does it confuse you that there are arty/funky Christians? I can find you plenty of them if you want to meet more!

9. Comment by eeka on December 3, 2005 11:57 am

Oops. I edited my post and it posted twice. Sorry!

10. Comment by Karl on December 3, 2005 2:12 pm

I guess it doesn’t confuse me that there are arty Christians. I mean, I believe that Christians have been responsible for some of the best architecture in the world.

Funky Christians?…well…I’ll have to think about that one. he he

11. Comment by karyn on December 3, 2005 11:34 pm

See, you goof, everybody else thought it was funny. It’s totally a rubber egg, if it weren’t the chicken would be immersed in grief. Relax sweetpea. HEY! There are funky Christians! HELLO? (PS, O Overachieving one, Abe & Noah were way, way, way before Christ’s birth. And I suspect anybody trying to depict God in a set of illuminated plastic tubes will be immediately zapped. I might be wrong though. It has been known to happen. [The being wrong – not the zapping. But who knows?]) I am somewhat relieved others found it funny… I felt terribly guilty having caused you such profound sadness first thing in the morning!

12. Comment by matt on December 4, 2005 11:02 pm

I thought that was the funniest picture. Tho, my egg problem may have returned.