Lunch is on the House

Not really. But that was the main subject at lunch yesterday. You see, I found out a few weeks ago who Veselka Slut is (the new commenter on my blog). He is actually a co-worker name Mark who, coincidentally, is on the same floor of the same building as me at work (I still don’t know how he found out about my website). I think i’ve blogged before about how my office is in the middle of nowhere – at the end of a long hall next to an emergency stairwell and a conference room. Well, his office is on the other side of the conference room (though, entered at the elevator lobby versus my long deserted hallway). And, after being in this building for a nearly a month, I’ve discovered that this floor is gay central at Harvard. Without naming names, there are 4 openly gay men that I know of (and there can’t be more than 15-20 people on the whole floor to begin with). 10% my ass!

Anyway, I’m sidetracked…back to lunch. Ever since selling the condo after breaking up with Matt last year, I’ve been keeping my eye on the real estate market because my goal is to eventually buy again. I’ve focused my search on the more central locations of the city such as the North End, Back Bay, Beacon Hill, South End and Cambridge (also not coincidentally the priciest areas). In time I added Somerville and Fenway to the mix to see if prices were any better.

Over the past few months, I’ve been able to explore parts of Dorchester with Mike – an area I never would have even considered before. But Mike lives in the Savin Hill neighborhood on top of Jones Hill which has an amazing collection of old wooden homes lovingly restored by the gays (many with views of the skyline or harbor). So, I’ve added to add that to the list of neighborhoods in my searches on-line. And what did I find out?

Well, for starters, I can get a completely gutted and remodeled 1,000+ square foot condo in a triple-decker for same price as a 400 square foot walk-up studio in the North End that was last remodeled in the 1960’s.

Enter Mark. Knowing that he, too, lives in Dorchester, I emailed him a smorgasbord of questions about his experiences in Dorchester. In an attempt to avoid carpal tunnel syndrome from kicking in, we opted to go out for lunch to discuss real estate. We ended up at Grendel’s Den which, despite working at Harvard for nearly 5 1/2 years, I’d never been to. What a deal! For $3.95 I had a pork chop, mashed potatoes and sauerkraut. We also splurged on their spinach, artichoke and crab dip. MMMMM

Long story short, he raved about DOT (Dorchester’s affectionate nickname). Now I’ve got more to think about: convenience versus space, own versus rent, boxers versus briefs.

Life is too complicated.

1. Comment by Veselka Slut on January 25, 2006 11:11 am

I can’t believe you outed me to everybody!

2. Comment by Dave in Chicago (2) on January 25, 2006 12:59 pm

Boxers. And I’ll 10% your ass anytime…

3. Comment by David on January 25, 2006 1:02 pm

My God!
    Veselka Slut is a gay man? I didn’t know.
    Wait till I tell………

Ok, who the hell am I going to tell?
    Anyway Karl, this is exciting looking to buy.
    Remember the conveince factor of living in town as opposed to even the closest burbs.
    Travel time to work etc. Some of those homes on Savin Hill are georgeous. It would certaintly be a change. That way you wouldn’t be in an alley.
    Or court, or whatever.

4. Comment by Karl on January 25, 2006 1:15 pm

Veselka Slut/Mark..were you ever “in”?

Dave = thanks for the info!

David – it’s a court, dammit! LOL!

As for me, briefs (but not tighty-whities) or boxer-briefs. Veselka and David? Your turn.

5. Comment by Veselka Slut on January 25, 2006 1:48 pm

Why is one compelled to choose? I prefer a variety of boring boxers or sexy briefs. (I look sexy in any briefs, but am partial to fancy gay briefs or plain old well fitting white briefs). That way if I accidentally hook up with the same guy more than once I can just say it’s my twin he met before.

6. Comment by Dave in Chicago (2) on January 25, 2006 3:14 pm

“accidentally”? lol

7. Comment by matt on January 25, 2006 3:31 pm

See? I’m always one step ahead of the game! I was groovin’ to the DOT vibe before it was “in” !?!!?

Sure you want to live there? Remember how you had to be given drugs to calm down as you had panic attacks from being in Dorchester. We hear gun shots out here, too.

8. Comment by JC on January 25, 2006 5:28 pm

If you move to Dorchester, I’m never coming to visit you. It’s scary there.

9. Comment by Karl on January 25, 2006 5:32 pm

Hey, poodle! That’s exactly what I thought! But after going there at least once per week for the past 2+ months, I’ve noticed that it has it’s charm (though, I’m not a fan of the indigenous triple-decker).

But it’s got some nice little breakfast places and various restaurants (Thai, Italian, Indian). And reasonable subway access.

And I looked at the map showing where murders took place last year and it appears that none were in the vicinity of Savin Hill.

Granted, they were closer to Savin Hill than the quiet old North End…but it doesn’t seem bad.

Plus, you could DRIVE to visit me for rummy night from now on!

10. Comment by Veselka Slut on January 25, 2006 6:00 pm

WTF is a breakfast place? and I don’t mean bickfords.

11. Comment by keith on January 25, 2006 6:25 pm

I recently had to re-affirm to my father that in Dorchester as long as you can see the water or 93, then you’re probably fine.

12. Comment by Karl on January 25, 2006 6:36 pm

YYA – I can see major highway from my home! WOO HOO!

Keith, I may question you a bit at the bloggers meeting on Saturday.

Veselka. McKenna’s (on Savin Hill Ave) is a breakfast place…they’re not open for dinner!

13. Comment by karyn on January 26, 2006 9:09 am

Come on…even *I* knew who Veselka Slut was… in a vague, abstract way…and you hafta know it’s greater than 10%! (By the way if it is possible to 10% someone’s ass, will you please email me and tell me what that entails; I don’t want my street cred to suffer.) 🙂 Karl, I just don’t see you in Dawchesta. I still miss your place on St.Germain. Besides, you don’t want kids or puppies or roommates; what are you going to do with 1000+ square feet of space? Outfit your kitchen with state of the art equipment and cook? Sorry, that slipped. Well, as you wish, Buttercup. If you’re happy, I’m happy.

14. Comment by karyn on January 26, 2006 9:10 am

PS: So you know? I took J. shopping recently to pick out underwear – – he chose boxer briefs all on his own – – I’m so proud!

15. Comment by karyn on January 26, 2006 9:13 am

PPS: Just to remember, about Dorchester and panic attacks? Crime does migrate. There aren’t fences, you know. “Murderers Prohibited”. “No murderers , loiterers or solicitation allowed on these premises.” Can you imagine?

16. Comment by Susan on February 10, 2006 5:42 pm

I’m originally from Dorchester and it’s mighty fine. A bargain at twice the price. Enjoy the hunt.
    Susan
    OFD (originally from Dorchester) Yes, there is a bumper sticker! http://www.dotnews.com