Hypochondria Sets In

I’m finally seeing the doctor today. Two weeks has definitely been enough. Sore throat type illnesses never last that long in me so it has provided me sufficient time to develop some paranoid thoughts.

For starters, my sore throats never feel like this. Usually they consist of a dry throat and perhaps some scratchy sensations and difficulty swallowing. I never have swollen glands in my throat. Seriously! I can see it when I look in the mirror. Perhaps that is a sign of strep (I’ve not had strep since I was a kid so I don’t know what it’s like). Or, it could be a tumor.

Yep, that’s how my mind works. Now I’m determined that I’ve got a tumor on my neck.

And don’t get me started on the Christmas Eve injury to one of my fingers (when I attempted to assemble that tray table). That wound is still not fully healed a month later. Gangrene is sure to settle in at any moment.

Otherwise, despite my traumatic ailments, I do have a fairly social weekend planned. I’m supposed to get together tonight with Mike, and possibly Jason. I’m still not sure what’s happening…but if Jason is involved I’m sure it will involve some competitive card-playing.

Tomorrow is the next Gay Boston Bloggers event taking place at one of the bloggers homes in great outer-suburbia (thanks Jason/Bryan for offering to drive me).

On Sunday, I’m condo-hunting with my friend, Sven. I guess the nesting bug has caught both of us at about the same time. We’re going to meet up mid-morning and then hit as many open houses we can. We’ll also drive around neighborhoods to get a feel for them. I think we should both buy a floor in a triple-decker and be neighbors. But he’s also considering far off lands such as Revere and Salem, whereas I’m hoping to stay closer to the city/work.

Oh, and barring emergency surgery on my throat or the imminent amputation of my right hand, I plan on following Jason’s lead and will compile my very own 100 List (of things about me).

1. Comment by Veselka Slut on January 27, 2006 11:41 am

I’ve always wondered what it would be like to live in a big gay condo complex where everyone is friends when the move in. How long before jealousy, lust and cattiness set in to make the place unbearable? Or do you think it could work?

2. Comment by Doug on January 27, 2006 12:14 pm

I would give it less than a week…what with all the couples who have dated or slept with other couples partners etc. Heck it may not even last a week! Can you hear move in day “Oh…so THATS what he is sleeping with now..I am better than THAT”….thus starts the catfights.

3. Comment by David on January 27, 2006 1:55 pm

Wasn’t there a miniseries, about the Armstead Maupin books…..Olympia Dukakis.
    I can’t remember what it was called.
    Karl, how about this. Do you remember that old show “That’s Incredible”? It was with John Davidson, Fran Tarkinton, etc.
    There was a story of a guy who had a large bump on the side of his face that had teeth and another set of lips that worked.
    So maybe you sort of enveloped a twin while you were inuterous, and it just started to grow, 30 some odd years later.
    Doesn’t that sound better then “I have a tumor!”

4. Comment by Dave in Chicago (2) on January 27, 2006 2:14 pm

Tales of the City and More Tales of the City

5. Comment by J.P. on January 27, 2006 2:42 pm

I’m a little surprised you’ve lasted this long without dropping dead from all your ailments – especially with the radiation eminating from your monitor as you type in your blog. 🙂

Hope you feel better and have a great weekend.

6. Comment by Ed on January 27, 2006 2:51 pm

Hmmm let me think Karl. I may know a very good Realtor in the Cambridge/Somerville area who could help you out in your home search…..Shoot you should have purchased my condo, it’s a very gay friendly building.

7. Comment by karyn on January 27, 2006 4:17 pm

What up with this 100 List?

What time is this doctor’s appt? You need to let us know how your tumor is coming along. Har har. But seriously – did you get a diagnosis yet?

8. Comment by Karl on January 27, 2006 4:23 pm

Well, here’s the scoop: The doctor took two tests (one was the 5 minute test, the other was the standard overnight test).

The 5 minute test came back borderline after 5 minutes (he equated it with an early pregnancy test where you just can’t be sure what the reading is). He prescribed me antibiotics anyway.

But as I was walking out the door, the nurse ran up to him and said the red strip (indicating strep) was getting darker and darker. So, it looks like I have strep.

YAY ME!

9. Comment by matt on January 27, 2006 6:00 pm

Um, you shouldn’t be hanging out with people till you’ve been on the antibiotics for a couple of days. …you’re probably infecting the whole of gay boston with Strep. Typhoid Karl!

Feel better — and give your body some rest!

10. Comment by karyn on January 27, 2006 11:27 pm

Poor Snarling. Lots of rest, lots to drink and Matt’s right – stay in – you’re dangerously infectious for a little bit. Plus you’ll have to Lysol the living hell out of everything in your office and apologize to anyone else you’ve infected in the meantime. But do get better. xxoo

11. Comment by Karl on January 28, 2006 12:53 am

This can’t be that contagious. I mean, I kissed Mike and he’s still perfectly healthy. I’ve hung out with people at work for the past two weeks and not a single other person has any symptoms.

Yet I’ve had so many people (over?)reacting. In fact, one person told me I needed to notify every single person I’ve been in contact with over the past two weeks to warn them (which would be a lot of people considering I use the subway and saw Kathy Griffin in a 1,000 seat theatre.