Over-Extending Myself

Yawn.

I had a great weekend, but am now completely exhausted.

OH – but first, some good news! I contacted my blog server about the horribly slow speed of the site. They are apparently working on replacing the server and going to a new software program in the next few weeks that will make this thing as speedy as any other website. YAY. So please be patient.

Now where were we? Oh yeah, my weekend. I got home from work on Friday and then went over to Jason’s to have dinner and play Rummy. I’m not sure what was clouding Jason’s mind (or his luck) but he really, really, truly performed pitifully. I won by nearly 500 points (1,010 to 525). He was a surprisingly good sport and we both had a good time.  I got home after midnight and went to sleep.

On Saturday, I got together with Mike and we saw “Why We Fight” at the Kendall. Interesting stuff about why we go to war. It’s a documentary (much better than Fahrenheit 911) and the people interviewed were quite interesting, particularly a woman who worked at the Pentagon for 20 years and a NYC cop who lost his son at the Word Trade Center.

Interesting…scary….and all too real.

That night was the January edition of the Gay Boston Bloggers. This one took place in great-outer suburbia (Ashland, I believe). We were all to bring a food item and a game. Most people brought desserts (Jason left his rice pudding at home…ooops) but fortunately Chris and Sean brought actual food.

When it came time to play games, they selected the game I had brought: Pervartistry. It’s a combination of Charades and Pictionary where you have to either act out a sexual term or draw a sexual term (the card indicates which…you don’t get to choose). I like to think i’m open minded, but I’m apparently a prude because there were terms I’d never heard of before. But I wasn’t alone so I didn’t feel too bad.

I ended up getting home at nearly 2AM.

On Sunday, I got together with Sven and went condo hunting. He explored Salem and Eastie the day before so we focused our attention on Dorchester. First we drove around the Savin Hill and JFK subway stop areas, including Jones Hill and Malibu Beach (nothing like California, I must add). Once the clock struck noon we started hitting the open houses. Lots of them. To be honest, I can’t even remember how many units we saw. Most units were in vacant triple-deckers that were rehabbed (which apparently means to just add new kitchen counters and appliances and paint over existing walls and trim). This seemed to be the pattern in nearly every building we saw.

Some were rather discouraging (floors severely sloped, walls re-painted so many times they look awful) and others were definitely liveable. Pricing made no sense (one in the more desirable area cost less than others in crappier areas) and the difference from one block to the next is as drastic as night and day.

We ended up having lunch at the Blarney Stone in Fields Corner (an area we most definitely would not consider living) and then he dropped me off. I think I’m going to just continue looking until I find “the” unit that I want (a top floor unit a block or two from the subway, with laundry in unit). I don’t think that’s asking for too much.

Last night I got together with Fernando. We met on line a few years ago but never actually met face-to-face until recently. He cooked an amazing zuchini/pea risotto dish. MMMMMM

I barely had any time this weekend to compile the 100 List I promised on Friday. I did manage to get to item #51, though. And then I got stumped. My life is simply way too boring so I need more time. Hopefully I’ll finish by tomorrow.

1. Comment by karyn on January 30, 2006 12:03 pm

Malibu Beach? Really? Well you pretty much HAVE to go look at a place with a Malibu Beach address don’t you? You could be like Malibu Ken. Sort of.

What’s this list about? I can’t take the suspense!

2. Comment by Chris on January 30, 2006 12:13 pm

House shopping in Atari-land. Too funny.

Be sure you include something about your mechanical assembly skills (or, perhaps, lack of) on that list! And perhaps the impressive size of your, um, glands. Haha! 😀

And even though your blog takes for-ev-er to load, which in today’s case was an entire 22 seconds (what have we come to, if 22 seconds seems like forever?) I am still always happy to wait when I see that little asterisk of update notification.

AND! I very much enjoyed having you as my competitive-perv partner.

3. Comment by Lise on January 30, 2006 1:23 pm

Umm, aren’t you fighting Strep, which is nothing be blase about. Perhaps you will get over being sick if you don’t run all over town!

4. Comment by Will on January 30, 2006 3:55 pm

Are you SURE you’re sick? 🙂 You’re out and about more than any three homos I know!

5. Comment by Karl on January 30, 2006 4:21 pm

OK – I need guidance. My doctor didn’t seem to be too concerned about this strep thing, but everybody else seems to think it’s serious. Isn’t it just a sore throat that’s more contagious? Is there more too it that I don’t know about? I mean, I’ve not had it since I was a kid…but this wasn’t unbearably painful and I had no other sick symptoms (nausea, head ache, runny nose, cold, flu…nothing). I felt find except my glands were swollen.

To be honest, it was less painful than a sore throat.

That said, that explains why I’ve remained busy….because I generally feel fine (especially now that the antibiotics have kicked in).

Oh, Karyn – my 100 List is just a list of 100 things about myself (see Ex Post Facto’s for a more humorous example of what I’m attempting).

6. Comment by Ted in New York City on March 20, 2006 11:00 pm

Hello and thanks for playing PervArtistry. I’m a Vanderbilt law & MBA graduate who helped create the game.

Funny you mention not knowing all of the terms — we’ve never met anyone who knows them all, but when we do, that’s the person we’ll want to party with. One great thing about PervArtistry is that you don’t have to know what the term means to draw or act it.

Glazed Donut? Most people win by drawing a … glazed donut.

The Eiffel Tower? You don’t need to know that it’s a standing spit roast with a high five — just draw the Eiffel Tower.

Pocket Rocket? Easy enough to draw.

Anyway, thanks again for checking out our new game.

Peace.