Don’t Judge Me (or, You Can’t Judge a Book by its Cover)

Well, once again I’m taking Jason’s lead and doing a quirky blogger thing. Here are the instructions:

1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the next 3 sentences (#5, 6 & 7) on your blog, along with these instructions.
5. Don’t you dare dig for that “cool” or “intellectual” book in your closet! I know you were thinking about it. Just grab what is closest. No cheating.

I’m doing this from the office so the books I have near me are the required reading for one of the classes I’m taking. The top book in the stack (making it the closest) is “Organizational Culture and Leadership”, by Edgar H. Schen. My initial instinct before opening up the book was that my three sentences would be very boring, dry and, quite honestly, more representative of my personality than I’d care to admit. I was pleasantly surprised to read the following:

“When we tell a joke, others laugh no matter how unfunny the joke; when someone breaks wind in public we pretend not to have noticed no matter how loud the sound. In other words, human society of any sort hinges on the cultural agreements to try to uphold each others’ identities and illusions, even if that means lying. We compliment people to make them feel good even if we don’t believe it; we teach little children not to say ‘Look at that fat lady over there,’ even though an obese person is clearly visible.”

Well, that’s kinda’ fun. Maybe this class won’t be so boring after all? Though, it now does make me question any compliment I’ve ever received.

1. Comment by David on February 1, 2006 10:58 am

Data on equivalent doses, varies considerably, depending on whether in vitro or clinical data are used.Equivalent doses also vary from patient to patient. Doses are based on my clinical experience and consensus of sources listed.
    Woo hoo Karl.

2. Comment by Karl on February 1, 2006 11:07 am

Wow, David. Your reading material was more lame than mine! It took me a few seconds to pick up on that. At first, I thought I was getting spammed…or that you copy/pasted something in error.

3. Comment by chrispy on February 1, 2006 11:49 am

theres a franz hals portrait on page 123 and the caption underneath reads: “show me a sane man, and i will cure him for you” -CG Jung

4. Comment by Chris on February 1, 2006 12:49 pm

Karl,
    You’re utterly compliment worthy. 😀

5. Comment by Sara on February 1, 2006 1:21 pm

Sadly, the only reading material within reach is the Massachusetts Dental Society 2005-2006 Member Roster. Pg 123 lists Dentists with the last name beginning with the letter P and their respective specialties.
    B-O-R-I-N-G.
    🙂

6. Comment by Will on February 1, 2006 2:18 pm

“The plants are then washed thoroughly and dyed before being pulped in the blender. The sheets are then made on a special meshed frame known as a ‘mould and deckle’: refer top a book on paper making for precise instructions. Many plants are used for making paper, each producing a different texture.”

Obviously NOT cool, possibly a bit intellectual, but not from my closet, that’s for sure.

7. Comment by David on February 1, 2006 3:14 pm

geez, everyones closest reading material seems pretty lame…

8. Comment by karyn on February 1, 2006 4:47 pm

“Mystifyingly, four cardinals were absent from the chapel. Mortati knew that all the exits to Vatican City were guarded and the missing cardinals could not have gone far, but still, with less than an hour before opening prayer, he was feeling disconcerted. After all, thefour missing men were no ORDINARY cardinals. They were THE cardinals.” – Angels & Demons, by Dan Brown

9. Comment by Mark on February 1, 2006 4:52 pm

My closest book is the Oracle 10g Guide. I guarantee that you won’t care, but:

2. Use operating system commands to move the datafile(s).
    3. Open the database in MOUNT mode.
    4. Use alter database to change the references to the datafile in the database.

Bored yet??

10. Comment by matt on February 1, 2006 8:18 pm

OK — here goes

“…Caan had a reputation for being pugnacious, in the same way Barbra had a reputatio for being tempermental. Going in, the potential for fireworks between the two stars definitely existed. You don’t play with Streisand – you work your ass off,’ …Caan said in 1979”
    …the nearest books were my Bjork picture book and THE REVISED AND UPDATED BARBRA STREISAND SCRAPBOOK. ….high end intellectual stuff to impress.

Oh! And I thought of something your failed to list about yourself in your 100 list. …that thing you you claim your lungs do when you open your mouth and turn back and forth fast with arms out-stretched. Still not sure why you think it odd or how you even came to discover it but it was one of the first “worries” you ever told me about yourself. That could have been in the 100 list. You could do an audio blog of the sound. I still say it is you making a noise and not your lungs. but that is just me.

11. Comment by matt on February 1, 2006 8:18 pm

OK — here goes

12. Comment by matt on February 1, 2006 8:20 pm

why does this happen when I post sometimes? …it takes so long for the comment to show up, I think, “did i select ‘submit’ so i select it and it posts twice. most worrying.

13. Comment by karyn on February 2, 2006 9:46 am

Ah Matty, don’t sweat it. It happens to everyone sooner or later. We have other things to worry about, no?

14. Comment by Will on February 2, 2006 10:23 am

I’ve had the same problem. Opening this site can take a long time and it will not not open in Netscape on my office Mac at all. The comments can take forever to respond. But I know Karl’s working on it.