Gaydar Graduation

Before I knew what it even was, I apparently possessed a keen sense of gaydar. I was just reading Out Magazine and discovered that Glenn Scarpelli, from the late 70’s/early 80’s TV show “One Day at a Time”, was a poofter. Of course, at the time, I didn’t know what gay was (let alone that I, myself, could be gay) – but I did recall feeling a little boy crush on the guy.

But now I know that I could have had a chance with him…had I been in Los Angeles instead of on Cape Cod…and it probably would have helped to have been more than 9 years old. But still, I had gaydar back then…where did it go? Did the metrosexuals complicate things? Did the creation of all of these gay sports groups complicate things? Did my “gay until proven straight” theory complicate things?

Who knows. Well, apparently I did when I was 9 years old. But I’m clueless now.

In other news, I haven’t spoken much about the classes I’ve been taking, but they’re going well. I had class last night and another one tonight. There’s this one annoying character (who I assume is gay….proably erroneously based on paragraphs one and two of my blog today) who is taking both of the same classes as me. He frosts the tips of his hair…do men still do that? I thought that ended in 1989?

I also just received my little blue “graduation” form in the mail. I need to complete it and submit it to Harvard by March 10th so I can graduate in June. But I need to indicate on this form whether I want my degree mailed to me or whether I want to participate in the actual graduation ceremony. Now, I’ve never been big on public displays of anything (affection, marriage, graduation) but I just feel like I’ll be missing out of I can’t snarf a graduation gown (could be good for future Halloween parties). I wonder if I can say “yes – I will attend graduation” and then back out at the last minute?

1. Comment by Lise on February 14, 2006 11:00 am

Oh Karl, even as an innocent young girl I could tell he was “bent” – that tool belt was a dead giveaway. He looked like the long-lost Village Person. And the mustache…

2. Comment by Karl on February 14, 2006 11:04 am

Oh, Lise!

That was Schneider! I’m talking about the little kid that the show hired after McKenzie (sp?) Phillips got kicked off the show because of her drug addiction. He was a teenager with dark hair….it was when thes how wasn’t as good…but it didn’t stop my boy-crush.

3. Comment by Dave in Chicago (2) on February 14, 2006 11:31 am

Speaking of, this site can be a bit of retro fun to poke around…
    http://members.tripod.com/~former_child_star/

4. Comment by Big Momma on February 14, 2006 11:44 am

I do remember how proud your parents were at your last commencement and I can’t believe you would rob yourself or them of the thrill of seeing their son graduate from HARVARD! You better go….

5. Comment by Veselka Slut on February 14, 2006 12:35 pm

I’ve always considered graduation the last chance the institution has to humiliate you before they have to let you go. But seeing as you work there. . . .

6. Comment by karyn on February 14, 2006 1:29 pm

How in THE hell do you get “Graduation” under the same category as “PDA”? I loved graduation. I liked the idea that I was closing a chapter and moving forward, marking the achievment in a notable way. For all the good it did me. And yeah, I don’t know who Big Momma is, but your mom just might kick your ass. Does Haaaaahvaaahd let you keep your graduation gown? Whatever for? And now I’m thinking on it – you wouldn’t wear the gown for actual graduation…because you don’t like public displays…of anything…but you WOULD wear it for a Halloween Costume Party. Would this party, in theory, be conducted in the dark or something where nobody could see you? I don’t quite get this one.

7. Comment by Big Momma on February 14, 2006 1:41 pm

Karyn. Good Point… I think an even bigger question is how he could “feel good” about wearing that cowboy hat in public but not good about graduating from harvard? (Blog from a couple weeks ago.. from his getaway to DC) What the ##?%#. And Big Momma will definately ##?# your ##?#.

8. Comment by Karl on February 14, 2006 1:46 pm

OMG – it’s like high school all over again. Now I’ve got Karyn and Carolyn commenting…next will be Candy, Golden and Missy.

9. Comment by Golden on February 14, 2006 7:41 pm

Called out of the sidelines here to comment….
    Yeah, you should go. Besides, don’t be so egocentric. You should know by now after all these years that the Harvard graduations are enormous. No one but Mom will notice you. There is just something weird about having your diploma arrive in the mail without the ceremony. You’d better go! Make you’re mama proud – after you go pick her up in Braintree 🙂

Candy/Missy….it’s your turn!