I Always Fall Within that Damn 10%

You may have realized by reading this blog that I am gay. Yep, gay. I guess this technically means I am a minority since less than 10% of the population is gay.

Well, last night in class I was relegated to minority status once again. Before handing back our second graded papers, the professor said that, as a whole, students received higher grades this time around than they did on their first paper. He said only 10% received a grade lower than their first paper.

…and that was me. I went from an A on the first paper to an A-minus on the second. 90% of the class followed the opposite trend. I’m starting to wonder whether I try to be different. It’s funny, I have an aunt and uncle (not blood relatives…just friends of my parents who I’ve always called aunt and uncle) who believe that gay people are gay just for the attention. They think we just want to be different for the sake of being different and to cause a scene.*

I must admit, I like eccentricity and quirkiness in people. And I’d hate to be just like everybody else. But believe me, my sexuality is not what makes me quirky. My sexuality is not what makes me different. In fact, I’m rather boring. I don’t really drink, I don’t smoke, I’ve never done drugs and I’ve never even been drunk.

HHMMMMM – that in itself makes me different (and yet another minority). I guess my aunt and uncle must be right.

*I’ve not had this conversation with them. This is a conversation they had with my brother years ago – before those damn gays made a big fuss about wanting equal marriage rights. Those gay selfish bastards.

1. Comment by karyn on May 2, 2006 10:05 am

….riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Ok well , to start –

Your so-called “Aunt & Uncle” should spend some time with people who have suffered for coming out of the closet; who would choose that kind of agony? Whatever. I am chalking this up to a generational gulf and rigid thought process. Must be a pain in the ass for you though.

As to less than 10% of the population being gay – how sure are you about that? Is that just the current, popular wisdom of statistical survey and census talking? I remember in 1988, reading in Sociology that incest and sexual abuse was incredibly rare – occurring in approximately 1 in 1,000,000 families.

Suffice it to say, I have since been suspicious of these so called ‘facts’.

Well anyway. An A- huh? Must be a bitch. Maybe the professor is just tormenting you. 🙂

2. Comment by Brad on May 2, 2006 12:52 pm

You know something . . . I’m not sure that I’d like to meet your “aunt and uncle”. That kind of simplistic psychology drives me insane and I’m afraid that if they said something like that to me, while I don’t consider myself “militaristic” by any stretch of the imagination, I would certainly have a few choice reactions to give them.

3. Comment by Karl on May 2, 2006 4:59 pm

Well, I’ve not seen them in years….many, many years. They’re approaching 80 so I suspect I’d avoid a confrontation with them. I highly suspect they’re bound to change their opinions at this stage of their life.

It fascinates me how people come up with their perspectives on things. Environment? Religion? Family? Ignorance?

Karyn – good point. I’ve always wondered the same thing when people say stuff like that….why would somebody CHOOSE to be something that will most likely make their lives more difficult?

Then again, if I was offered a pill that would turn me straight, I wouldn’t want it.

4. Comment by Rob on May 2, 2006 5:26 pm

From an A to an A-?!? That’s 20 lashes for you, Karl! Pull down your pants! NOW!

And yeah, I suck cock not because I want to be different, I suck cock cuz I want to be kool and popular! haha!

5. Comment by hooizz on May 3, 2006 8:17 pm

i always am impressed with the underlying message of pixars movie, ‘the incredibles’ – saying everyone is special is the same as saying that no one is special.

its amazing how we grow from trying our best to conform (middle school, high school) to a point where conforming is no longer ABSOLUTELY necessary. sure it makes life easier, but it certainly isnt the best way to excel in life.

getting an A, and then getting an A- isnt being different. its just kicking ass and doing it right the first time. maybe that can be said for other ways that you are the minority.

cheers
    hooizz