Crankier

Wednesday’s heading was “Cranky”….Friday’s is “Crankier”.

I’m beginning to think what I’m fighting right now is a common head cold and not allergies. Not only do I have the runny nose, sore throat, head ache and sinus congestion, but my entire body aches from head to toe. I went to CVS Wednesday after work and picked up some Claritin-D (thinking it was allergies) but after two days I’m not feeling a bit of relief.

Now I’m mixing my 24-hour Claritin-D with Afrin 12-hour nasal spray, Sudafed (4-6 hours) and, at night, Tylenol PM (8 hours). There are so many chemicals flowing through my body right now that Courtney Love would be jealous.

But I’m still not feeling much better (except i can breathe through my nose again…until the Afrin wears off).

I guess i’ve been running myself ragged – being more social than my lame-ass body is accustomed to. Mike and I were supposed to go to a party tomorrow night, but I suspect I won’t be going. I just want to get this thing out of my system.

Any advice? I’ll take it.

1. Comment by Chris on May 12, 2006 10:34 am

Lots and lots of sex. And a steam room/sauna. Preferrably together.

2. Comment by Fred on May 12, 2006 10:47 am

Hmmm…I think that could clear the sinuses, but make for worse trouble ;). In all seriousness, I swear by the 12-hour or 24-hour versions of Sudafed – much less annoying than trying to remember to take multiple pills all the time. Provided you can breathe, lots of sleep, fluids, chicken soup [really!], and my grandmother’s old warm-salt-water gargling trick seem to work better than most of the OTC drugs in my experience…

3. Comment by Veselka Slut on May 12, 2006 11:05 am

I am actually a little better today after having the same symptoms. I recommend sleep and fattening food. And cigarettes.

My grandmother did the whiskey gargling trick for strep, only time she ever touched the stuff.

4. Comment by Lise on May 12, 2006 11:32 am

Sudafed works great, but I’ve discovered that Tylenol extreme cold or flu or something like that is the miracle drug. It’s the one with four different strong medicines in it to cover everything – it makes you loopy, but not so bad you can’t be out in public. It really help. Now, why do you & Veselka have the same symptoms, what have you been sharing???

5. Comment by Golden on May 12, 2006 12:23 pm

Claritin, Claritin D, and Sudafed don’t touch my allergy symptoms. Bendryl, sadly is the only thing that does. I can actually take it during the day, although most people get too drowsy on it. Sometimes I just take a half to take down the symptoms a notch. With all this rain, it may be the mold flaring up on top of any of the pollen stuff.

Feel better!

6. Comment by karyn on May 12, 2006 1:26 pm

First of all, why the hell are you still at work where you can easily infect any number of people within the public sphere? GO HOME.

Second: Runny nose = Need Antihistimine
    Congested Nose = need decongestant
    Body aches (to include sore throat)= need systemic analgesic

I concede, your sore throat can be compounded by postnasal drip, so you need antihistimines on double-overtime here. Go home and take either:

A Benadryl+Advil Cold & Sinus cocktail every 6 hours
    OR
    A benadryl + Tylenol Cold & Sinus cocktail every 6 hours
    OR
    NyQuil

Drink juice, water, tea, chicken soup and stay the hell in bed. (Except for hot showers and bad television.) Lather, rinse repeat. If not better by Monday, call your primary and let him have at it to make sure you don’t have a sinus infection. Run a humidifier if you have one, see if it makes a difference.

AND STOP USING AFRIN! Those nasal sprays wreck your nose.

Kay. I’m done now. 🙂 (if it makes you feel any better about having a cold, i am with a sore throat / body ache lingering from last week and had to bite the bullet & go to the store w/ les enfants – one of whom had exploding diarrhea everywhere during our trip. rah rah.)

7. Comment by karyn on May 12, 2006 1:28 pm

PS: I have heard great things about gargling w/ saltwater but it totally makes me gag and choke and then I have to worry about puking, so I try to avoid it. You can try it if you’re game.

Apparently a lot of people can maintain their consciousness while on Benadryl; I sniff the package and fall asleep for 13 hours though. So don’t plan on going out until you know what it will do to you.

8. Comment by Brad on May 12, 2006 2:27 pm

I like what Chris recommends! 🙂

9. Comment by Mark on May 12, 2006 2:47 pm

I second!

10. Comment by David on May 13, 2006 2:17 pm

Heaven forbid you contact an old friend thats a, what do you call them?
    They count drugs, they go to school for 5-6 years. Oh yeah! a phamacist?
    I heard about the “nude”. Just think you are now hanging in someones home.
    So Mike is the new boyfriend? Awesome.
    Anyway back to the drugs.
    Do not use Afrin longer then 3 days. Listen to Karyn. You run the risk of rebound congestion and you can damage the nasal membranes.
    Golden is also right in saying benadryl is the best for a lot of people, also chlortimeton. The only problem is they both tend to knock people on their ass, and since you don’t drink you may not want to experience the “hung over” effects that Benadryl can cause.
    So I would use Claritin D, or Allegra D. For sleeping slap one of those Breathe Right strips on your nose. I love those and they are just like a firm bandaid. Buy some Vicks Vaporub Cream, not the ointment, and have Mike rub it on your chest………
    Just a thought……..

11. Comment by Will on May 14, 2006 6:49 am

I’m not going to presume to prescribe for you, but I think you’re right about it not being allergies, unless it’s a reaction to mold. With all this rain, there are virtually no tree or grass pollens in the air–I can finally get up in the morning without my eyes stinging and burning.

I’m a firm believer in sleep, lots of liquids (hot tea and fruit juice in particular) and one old stand-by I don’t think anybody else has suggested: before bed, a hot lemonade made with a stiff shot of whiskey. Then into bed with a couple of extra covers and sweat the thing out of your system.

Take care, Karl, and feel better.